Foxface hiding after vacation - normal?

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else go out of town for 2 weeks and return to a hiding foxface? I see him hiding behind the rocks but he hasn't come out to swim or eat from my hand like normal. I've had him for 2-3 years and this is not his normal behavior. I've been gone for 11 days before and didn't experience this. When I shine the flashlight on him, he darts from one rockscape to another.

I searched the web and most discussions are about a new FF being added to a tank and it hiding. Mine has been in his tank for over a year and has NEVER done this. Any insight is appreciated.

-Vinny

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely doesn't sound normal. Is it eating? Can you tell if it looks healthy?

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed some macro algae in the display and I caught him out eating it but as soon as he seen me, he darted behind the rocks. For the brief moment I seen him, he looked his normal color. I may have to setup a spy cam to see him better lol

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a chair in front of the tank today after I fed the fish and I was super still and then I saw the fox face come out he looks good but as soon as I moved he darted behind the rocks again

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's starting to become his regular self again(out and about swimming around the tank). I think he got used to not seeing anyone or anything for most of the day and me being back gave him a shock lol.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 79 75.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back