Foxface killed Midas in 5 minutes

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craziest thing happened tonight while I was feeding my tank. My 3 yr old Midas Blenny inadvertently got pricked by my Mag Foxface, and went into involuntary spasms.

Within 4-5 minutes it had stopped breathing and laid dead. I even have video footage of the spasms, since I was in the middle of taking pics of my kiddo near the tank.

I knew their spines were venomous. But assumed most fish would be able to avoid contact.

My wife also witnessed the whole thing. Incredible bummer when a fish you've had for yrs, dies in front of your eyes.. so quickly too....

Has anyone experienced something similar?
7100178574a869cf7210a0fbe2c4fc9b.jpg
e4691c20b5e8d612c722f3c7d3cd4e5f.jpg
07743453e2d8d935c0bf838f57cdd710.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that’s sad. Yes, most fish avoid this fate but this is a common reaction if they are ever stung. My tangs pick on my Maggie — I keep thinking l”keep it up and you’ll regret it...”

Sorry for the loss :(

Last edited:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that this happened ;Sorry I never really thought about fish coming into contact with the spines, always just seemed to me like something that wouldn't happen. I actually assumed from the title that your foxface went rogue and killed the blenny through aggression. Such a shame :(

OP
OP
M

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the support. Actually have video of the spasms, but it says Tapatalk doesnt support .mp4 files, and not too desperate to figure out what to do since it couldnt host it after I let it.

Just crazy. This was one of the fish I brought over from my previous 75g. Died within such a short time. I hope 4 inch tangs are big enough to survive a sting, bc my Blonde Naso and Hippo mess with it too.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear this. My chocolate tang consistently aggravates my mag foxface EVERY day, and I see him constantly raise his fins at him in defense. I was not aware they were this potent. I pray my chocolate tang is talking a big game, and knows better in the end but this has been going on for about a year now. So far no issues. ;)

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was just linked to this thread, sorry for you blenny. i have a blenny that actually might deserve it, keeps trying to bite my foxface, and is a matter of time before this happens. i will be trying to remove my blenny tonight.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back