Foxface lethargic, not eating, lymphocystis worsening

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface recently has lost an interest in food, I had it for 20 days and before a couple of days ago it would always go for nori and thawed frozen foods even the day I initially added it. Recently, it has became lethargic and lost interest in food and most concerning of all is how much the lymphocystis has grown on it. It is now laying and breathing heavily.

There are 4 other fish in this tank and they are all eating and doing great. (longnose hawk, small watchman goby, jawfish, melanurus wrasse) (16g). This qt was previously treated with a dose of prazi on Saturday, no copper

Recording:

Previous lymphocystis thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/weird-growth-on-foxface.895221/#post-9945800

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably wants to be in a better environment than a qt.
Bump!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a water change after the Prazi? If not I would. Sometimes, certain fish get a bit out of sorts, including not eating, after I dose Prazi and a water change perks them up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface recently has lost an interest in food, I had it for 20 days and before a couple of days ago it would always go for nori and thawed frozen foods even the day I initially added it. Recently, it has became lethargic and lost interest in food and most concerning of all is how much the lymphocystis has grown on it. It is now laying and breathing heavily.

There are 4 other fish in this tank and they are all eating and doing great. (longnose hawk, small watchman goby, jawfish, melanurus wrasse) (16g). This qt was previously treated with a dose of prazi on Saturday, no copper

Recording:

Previous lymphocystis thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/weird-growth-on-foxface.895221/#post-9945800

That still doesn't look like Lymphocystis to me.

The foxface is breathing a bit quick and very shallow.

Did you have good aeration when you dosed the prazi? Which prazi product did you use?

Jay

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still doesn't look like Lymphocystis to me.

The foxface is breathing a bit quick and very shallow.

Did you have good aeration when you dosed the prazi? Which prazi product did you use?

Jay
I’m pretty sure it is lympho now as it has been showing up on fins too. I have an air stone active 24/7 but power head off because the fish get blown around. The product I am using is prazipro

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a water change after the Prazi? If not I would. Sometimes, certain fish get a bit out of sorts, including not eating, after I dose Prazi and a water change perks them up.
I’m going to do one later today or tomorrow as a week has passed

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys please help! It is worsening plus a clouded eye now!

Attachments

• 73D0C70F-9B2B-4CF7-B622-A3FECE8E1C8C.jpeg
    73D0C70F-9B2B-4CF7-B622-A3FECE8E1C8C.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 63

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man he’s not looking good. Hopefully someone can help get him through this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m pretty sure it is lympho now as it has been showing up on fins too. I have an air stone active 24/7 but power head off because the fish get blown around. The product I am using is prazipro
Lympho will display large oval like nodules/
Can you get good, clear still pics under white lighting closeups>?
Jay mentioned aeration increase. best accomplished with airstone/pump as Prazi will reduce both oxygen and appetite.

Has fish temp?
What test kit(s) are you using?
What is ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity-water temp ?

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho will display large oval like nodules/
Can you get good, clear still pics under white lighting closeups>?
Jay mentioned aeration increase. best accomplished with airstone/pump as Prazi will reduce both oxygen and appetite.

Has fish temp?
What test kit(s) are you using?
What is ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity-water temp ?
B290F9F7-4648-4D2E-AC5D-5CD5B1043874.jpeg

Here is a picture to show the lympho on its fin. Temp is 77 degrees, I can’t test the parameters right now but the test kit I’m using is api, I know it isn’t ideal but it’s what I have. There are 4 other fish in the tank not showing any signs of distress so I don’t think parameter is the issue here

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s probably being bullied. And probably when you’re not looking. In my experience, most bullying happens at night while you’re sleeping. I repeat. In my experience. I’m not speaking for anyone else.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s probably being bullied. And probably when you’re not looking
I see the melanurus swimming near it but never physically in contact with it nor do I think it is because of aggression

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the melanurus swimming near it but never physically in contact with it nor do I think it is because of aggression
That’s a sure sign of bullying when you’re not looking. As far as whether you believe me or not, suit yourself. I only have 40+ years of experience maintaining salt water fish tanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to rule out bullying by leaving your phone to video the bank and then you leave the room. Reviewing the video may tell you if that is the problem.
I don’t see the ripped fins and bite marks that go along with bullying though.
If that lesion is lymphocystis (I’m still not sure it is) lympho will NOT cause this sort of an issue.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You can try to rule out bullying by leaving your phone to video the bank and then you leave the room. Reviewing the video may tell you if that is the problem.
I don’t see the ripped fins and bite marks that go along with bullying though.
If that lesion is lymphocystis (I’m still not sure it is) lympho will NOT cause this sort of an issue.
Jay
Video the tank (;))

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don’t see the fish being bullied now doesn’t prove anything. The job’s been done. The point of bullying is to stop the fish from eating. Mission accomplished. But you can try videoing it anyway. What you should do is get a tank divider and isolate the foxface to see if he gets better before it’s too late. Which it may already be too late.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to tell you this but that fish is 95% gone.
I had to go outside to get food for my family, I am back and yup, rest in peace. It was doing so well when it was first introduced but it just slowly diminished. Maybe it was because of bullying or some other underlying problems.

I wanted a tang shaped fish for my 75 but I am not interested in the bristletooths other than the whitetail which is expensive as heck. Ive heard the foxface can work there for a while. What other species of tang or rabbitfish can I house there for like a year or two if I get it small?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back