Foxface Only Eating Algae

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon! I have a 6” magnificent Foxface that I ordered online that I’ve had for 2 weeks now. Still a little shy, but has been getting much more bold in the tank.

The problem I’m having is with feeding it- the fish is only grazing in algae in the tank. I feed LRS reef frenzy and mysis several times a day for the Anthias, sometimes throw some pellets in, and it isn’t interested in any of it. I’ve also been trying all my tricks with nori (in clip, rubber banded to rock), and it hasn’t touched it.

Other than not eating prepared foods, the fish is healthy- no visual concerns, normal resp rate and stools. I’m concerned because of the potential nutrient deficiencies and I know that the algae in the tank won’t be able to sustain such a large fish. Any thoughts?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my foxface when it was really teeny (<1.5"), but it took a few weeks to become interested in the seaweed I rubberbanded to rocks. Mine likes SeaVeggies Green and (particularly) SeaVeggies Red. It has been eating brine, mysis and LRS reef frenzy pretty much from the outset. I took few weeks longer to become interested in pellets (NFS Marine Fish and AlgeMax), but not it pretty much chows down anything. He's probably a good 4.5-5" now.

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I know fox face can be weird dramatic fish, I'm just concerned because it's not eating any prepared foods and it's only source of nutrition is the algae in my tank

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with foxface rabbitfish (which are my favorite marine fish, and I currently have 6 bicolor Siganus uspi and 3 one-spot Siganus unimaculatus; not an expert but have some experience), you likely need not be concerned with what they choose to eat. Algae seems to be their first choice for food, and it is a good option and provides the nutrition they need as long as it is available. Over time, they will figure out other food sources that you are providing.

Mine always started out shy and seemed to only pick at algae, but eat all provided foods and are quite chunky now that they are established in their respective tanks. I hand-feed them flakes and homemade frozen fish blend as well as nori, but they still spend most of the day picking at the algae in the tank. Mine particularly love macroalgae from the Caulerpa genus as well as both green and red "grape" algae, so I am planning to cultivate this for a food source.

Some take longer than others to settle in, and this also depends on other tank inhabitants. My 2 one-spot foxfaces in my 40B tank on my work desk settled in very fast with the community of other fish indicating lack of predators (read about "dither fish"). At home in my basement fish room, I have 2 bicolor foxfaces alone in a 40B QT/holding tank (until I get my other system builds finished) that are still skittish after over a year, but they do eat all foods I provide.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good afternoon! I have a 6” magnificent Foxface that I ordered online that I’ve had for 2 weeks now. Still a little shy, but has been getting much more bold in the tank.

The problem I’m having is with feeding it- the fish is only grazing in algae in the tank. I feed LRS reef frenzy and mysis several times a day for the Anthias, sometimes throw some pellets in, and it isn’t interested in any of it. I’ve also been trying all my tricks with nori (in clip, rubber banded to rock), and it hasn’t touched it.

Other than not eating prepared foods, the fish is healthy- no visual concerns, normal resp rate and stools. I’m concerned because of the potential nutrient deficiencies and I know that the algae in the tank won’t be able to sustain such a large fish. Any thoughts?
It is a very shy fish and may be eating without your knowledge. Set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. come back and review and you will see if its when you are not near tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back