Foxface Rabbit Fish - Dull yellow color

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Wondering if I made a mistake... I bought a one spot foxface over the weekend and he wasn't a bright yellow color in the LFS. They guy was pretty adamant that the color would come back and was likely just dulled due to the low amounts of copper in the LFS system.

I've had him in my QT for a couple of days and he's still pretty dull yellow. Am I over thinking it and he's probably just a little stressed out or did I get suckered into a bit of a dull fish?

OP
OP
Balanje

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention i'm feeding a mix of Marine S pellets (with some vitamin drops) and frozen brine. Also put a seaweed strip in there but he hasn't touched it yet. No meds in the QT yet.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As he becomes more accustomed and less stressed (likely once he goes in the main tank which is a more natural feeling environment) and eats high quality foods, I am sure he will color up to where it should be.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all learn the hard way never trust your LFS, all they want to do is sell you a fish. If he is eating pellets, try Spectrum THERA+A, it made my fish colors enhanced.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot, they can be pretty moody. Mine didn't do too well in qt, I think he was stressed being in a too small tank, it was a 20 long. If he's eating, don't worry about it. My one spot immediately showed his true colors and personality when he went into the dt. He will occasionally be dull now as I stated before, I believe they can just be a bit moody.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS was telling the truth. When fish are stressed they don't show their best colors. Store tanks and qt don't allow for best coloration. Once settled in the dt it will color up.

OP
OP
Balanje

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all learn the hard way never trust your LFS, all they want to do is sell you a fish. If he is eating pellets, try Spectrum THERA+A, it made my fish colors enhanced.

I'm typically a suspicious person... I can't say I trusted him as much as I was just anxious to get the fish home! I looked up the THERA+A... seeems like there are a few different sizes. which do you use? I'm thinking 1mm would be best but I'm seeing some mandarins take to is so maybe the 0.5mm would be best

OP
OP
Balanje

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot, they can be pretty moody. Mine didn't do too well in qt, I think he was stressed being in a too small tank, it was a 20 long. If he's eating, don't worry about it. My one spot immediately showed his true colors and personality when he went into the dt. He will occasionally be dull now as I stated before, I believe they can just be a bit moody.

That makes me feel better. I see him putting his 'pj's' on frequently but he never gets brighter than a dull yellow. At least not yet

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing for the first couple months, now he shows his bright yellow all the time. They are very skittish fish, just give him time.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you buy a dirty looking Foxface. I bought one from internet site two months ago. Always healthy, etc. But not the bright yellow like I had before. Kinda browngrayyellow. Good friend of the powder blue tang.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Wondering if I made a mistake... I bought a one spot foxface over the weekend and he wasn't a bright yellow color in the LFS. They guy was pretty adamant that the color would come back and was likely just dulled due to the low amounts of copper in the LFS system.

I've had him in my QT for a couple of days and he's still pretty dull yellow. Am I over thinking it and he's probably just a little stressed out or did I get suckered into a bit of a dull fish?

Dull coloration is usually due to stress, they can go nearly jet black when super stressed, so the color is an indicator of stress level. The color should return when it gets used to it's new environment.

jbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a one spot foxface as well and he changes color depending on stress level. Also, at night when the tank is dark, it turns a mottled sort of camouflage. I've had the fish for several years in a 30 gal tank I use for fragging, and its behavior has not changed. I'd say give it some time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back