Foxface randomly freaking out

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has never done this before so not too sure what is going on. He’s the boss of the tank and everyone knows not to bully him so I know it’s not that. But it has started trying to jump out of the tank, splashing water all over and scaring all the other fish into hiding. It will be fine all day and then around 6pm it starts doing it.

I just recently moved about a month and a half ago but everything was fine up until two days ago when it started this. It will jump then go into hiding for an hour or so, come back out at 100mph and jump again then move sand all over and then jump again then back into hiding. Haven’t added anything new in a long time, any ideas what it could be?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for stray voltage.

Otherwise, who knows whats gotten into this fish?
gilligan's island lol GIF by TV Land Classic

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any changes to flow, lighting, equipment or parameters lately?
No all stayed on the same schedule, only thing different is I’m having a bubble algae problem but last time that happened he ate it all up very quickly, now he doesn’t even touch it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked and had no stray voltage
Nice. The elimination of a possible cause for the behavior statistically shortens the guess list by 1 which improved the focus for the search for the cause, if there is one to be found.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. The elimination of a possible cause for the behavior statistically shortens the guess list by 1 which improved the focus for the search for the cause, if there is one to be found.
I hope so, but we all know how strange foxfaces are so who knows

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Tang that does that just before I drop food, then again after he’s ate everything as if to say “more”
Is a good 8” so he can throw a ton of water.
They really can throw it good when they want to, wouldn’t bother me at all apart from the fact that the plug is directly behind the tank

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really can throw it good when they want to, wouldn’t bother me at all apart from the fact that the plug is directly behind the tank
I really believe it’s some form of communication addressed at me. Will not do it when Iam in the room.

Had to put a 8’ square carpet in from to save the floor.

Weird.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spitballing here, but is it possible the fish has started seeing/noticed its reflection? Have there been any changes recently near the outside of the tank (such as lighting, furniture, paint color of the walls, etc.)?

Some info on light/reflections in our tanks:
glass shows reflections when there's a substantial difference in the amount of light on both sides (i.e. when one side is light and the other dark, the side with more light will start reflecting). So, if the lights are off outside of the tank but you have moonlighting or something on the inside of the tank, it's possible that the amount of light in the tank is enough to cause reflections on the glass.

I have no idea if this is the problem for your tank, but if it is you could just light up the dark side and the reflection would go away, or you could block the light from hitting the light side and that should get rid of the reflection as well. For it being lighter in the tank and darker out of it, I've seen someone put a white piece of paper on the outside of the their tank to reduce the light difference inside vs. outside, and that successfully eliminated the reflection they were getting; some other suggestions include blocking the light from hitting the glass inside, or putting little LED's around the outside to light it out and decrease the difference in light.

Regardless of if this is what's causing problems for you or not, though, I hope you're able to figure out what's wrong soon - best of luck!
As I mentioned in my initial post, these reflections appear when one side of the glass is brightly lit and the other side is much darker.

So, to get rid of the reflection, try lighting up the outside of the tank and see if that helps. One way you could do this is by running some LED strips around the outside of the tank so that they light up the glass. This thread might give you some more ideas too:
Trying to generate some other ideas here too, how old and big is the fish, and how long have you had it?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spitballing here, but is it possible the fish has started seeing/noticed its reflection? Have there been any changes recently near the outside of the tank (such as lighting, furniture, paint color of the walls, etc.)?

Trying to generate some other ideas here too, how old and big is the fish, and how long have you had it?
Thank you very much and yes there has been a big change in everything around the tank, it went from a dark blue room to a very light/white apartment. I just noticed this and it could possibly be this, my white tail tang doesn’t like my exquisite wrasse (rightfully so the exquisite is a jerk) so sometimes the tang will chase the wrasse and you can imagine how fast they bolt around the tank. Just watched it happen and the foxface got completly freaked out and went camo immediately then hid. Could this possibly be the problem is it’s getting stressed out from the other two not liking each other?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please chime in and give your respected opinion in this thread..

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Turned my garage light on for 10 sec at midnight when the fish were asleep. The only fish that flipped out was my Foxface and I heard him jump 3 times in 2 min.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please chime in and give your respected opinion in this thread..
Actually, I already did (post 26 on page 2), haha - I'm the one who suggested trying to light up the outside of the tank where the tang is acting up.
Could this possibly be the problem is it’s getting stressed out from the other two not liking each other?
Possibly - foxfaces are known to be incredibly timid/jumpy. Since you know approximately what time this happens every day, you can watch it to see if you can figure out any correlations that occur at that time (I mentioned the lighting/reflection specifically off the idea that maybe the light - either natural light or the lights over your tank - may change at around that time and lead to the fish seeing its reflection).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back