foxface stressing me out

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 1 spot foxface is now in my DT, eating well, although i wish it would eat the sea lettuce more since its what i got him for...

anyway, the dang thing is constantly going from "normal" color to dull, to shedding his mucus layer and what not. to doing his "camo" nighttime look when sleeping or i use my glass cleaner. the worst is i always see little "shiny" bits on his body or tail and then they disappear giving me an ICH scare but pretty sure its just excess mucus that didnt fall off yet.

anyway, hes an awesome fish, and very active swimmer, i think he brought my other fish out more to swim.

normal foxface behaviour?

OP
OP
Burrito

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sporting his camo look
826C92EA-09B4-4FCC-AF82-90022E12542F.jpeg

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's eating and breathing normally he's probably ok. They are a little shy at first and may take a couple weeks to adjust. Mine did the same for the first few weeks in the new tank. Now he only goes camo when he's going to bed. He's my favorite fish and is an algae destroying machine!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my one spot for about 2 months now.

I had to rehome my yellow tang as he was constantly harassing the foxface.

He is becoming more and more comfortable and is only going into camo mode at bedtime or if I am cleaning the glass / tank maintenance.

He comes back out much quicker now too, and is also 1st in line to eat.

So, my experience with my 1st foxface falls in line with most everyone else's experiences.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this for weeks until he finally calmed down and did it less. They are extremely shy in my experience. After my sailfin killed him about 6 months later, i ended up going with a yellow tang. I miss him though, they are in my top 5 of favorite fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my one spot has done the same thing and quite honestly it still has a bit of the faded black on top at all times, but it's generally eating well and is a seaweed vacuum.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back