Foxface venom

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is t the first time a foxface has gotten me but its actually very different. Ive been poked in the hand and and that just burned a little. But today I was putting a coral in the tank and I spooked him and he got me in the forearm. Of course its right where I have a tattoo so I cant actually see it other than it itching and burning at the same time. But its spreading down my hand and up to my shoulder and Im getting dizzy. Anyone know how bad they can get by chance?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't, but the online advice is to run the part that was stung under very hot water or under a hot light. This is an old thread, but there's some feedback.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't, but the online advice is to run the part that was stung under very hot water or under a hot light. This is an old thread, but there's some feedback.

I was looking at that too, it just doesnt describe what I have going on of course! Tried the heat thing and it stopped the itching but the achy burning is worse! Im so not going to a doctor and being like I got stung by my pet fish lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hot water disables the protein that causes the pain. The venom is nothing to be worried about. It only really causes pain. As far as I know the only worry would be if the person stung has pre-existing heart problems.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at that too, it just doesnt describe what I have going on of course! Tried the heat thing and it stopped the itching but the achy burning is worse! Im so not going to a doctor and being like I got stung by my pet fish lol
Been awhile since I’ve looked into it, but IIRC, someone on here shared a story of when they got stung by their foxface and they ended up waking up on the floor next to their step ladder. A lot of people consider it to be one of the worst (non-lethal) stings in the hobby.

As mentioned, heat (preferably hot water for good temperature coverage and penetration) denatures the proteins of the venom - it takes a while at temps our bodies can handle without scalding or serious burns, but it will neutralize the venom after a several minutes.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting dizzy, please make sure someone is with you and is aware of what happened and the fact the fish is venomous. If you have an allergic reaction things could get ugly. I'd seriously consider a trip to the hospital if it gets worse. Maybe take some benadryl. I had palytoxin poisoning a while ago from some protopalythoas that I unintentionally sent through the bandsaw. I didn't seek medical attention because I knew it would be a hard one to explain and they wouldn't have known what to do other than give me fluids and monitor me. So I'm a bad example.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and under no circumstances should anyone listen to me. Ever. About anything.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes!! Hope you're ok!!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is t the first time a foxface has gotten me but its actually very different. Ive been poked in the hand and and that just burned a little. But today I was putting a coral in the tank and I spooked him and he got me in the forearm. Of course its right where I have a tattoo so I cant actually see it other than it itching and burning at the same time. But its spreading down my hand and up to my shoulder and Im getting dizzy. Anyone know how bad they can get by chance?
Hope you are OK today!

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof. Hope you are all right. Maybe wear a long glove next time just in case!

Especially since you know your body can sometimes not react to it well.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Years ago there was a post somewhere about pee . Lol
If you were to urinate on a sting it’s supposed to take the throbbing stinging and itch out .

Never personally tried it .

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof. Hope you are all right. Maybe wear a long glove next time just in case!

Especially since you know your body can sometimes not react to it well.
I actually cant do the gloves, they have several elements Im allergic to that cause bad skin reactions!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google image . From a r2r link

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 35

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago there was a post somewhere about pee . Lol
If you were to urinate on a sting it’s supposed to take the throbbing stinging and itch out .

Never personally tried it .
I mean pee is warm….

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back