Foxfish LO vs One-spot Foxface

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out whether these two ACTUALLY get to different sizes. I don't live near any saltwater fish stores, so I called all of the stores within 90 minutes of me. One store has a one spot with lymphocystis, and one store has a standard foxface (not the magnificent). I'm reading conflicting information on whether these are actually the same fish (i.e. one spot vs LO). Can anyone who has kept both tell me whether these fish actually get to different sizes, because I've read the one-spot is smaller?

This guy is going to join my tomini and my juvenile yellow in a 90g tank. He is the last "big" fish that will be added.

Also, how big of a deal is the lymphocystis? The fish in question currently has it on the back of his dorsal fin.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one-spot does remain smaller than a standard foxface (Lo).

Lymphocystis is self-limiting and rarely fatal (except in cases with mouth or gill involvement), but it is a contagious virus. If your other fish haven’t been exposed to it before and recovered, they may have a bout of their own. It’s kind of like fish chickenpox.

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one-spot does remain smaller than a standard foxface (Lo).

Lymphocystis is self-limiting and rarely fatal (except in cases with mouth or gill involvement), but it is a contagious virus. If your other fish haven’t been exposed to it before and recovered, they may have a bout of their own. It’s kind of like fish chickenpox.
So better to avoid that fish you think?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it recover rather thaan stress it out on a long drive in a new tank.
You could just ask the lfs to hold it until it recovers

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So better to avoid that fish you think?
I would. When the lesions break or fall off, they spew the virus into the surrounding water. You’d probably end up with more infected fish for a few months.

If you do ask them to hold it, I’d wait until a month after the last lesions have disappeared, just to be completely safe.

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. When the lesions break or fall off, they spew the virus into the surrounding water. You’d probably end up with more infected fish for a few months.

If you do ask them to hold it, I’d wait until a month after the last lesions have disappeared, just to be completely safe.
I was under the impression that it was a viral infection, so it never truly went away?

Also, there is a store that has a one-spot on sale for black friday that isn't too far away from me. The only issue is that he is a good bit bigger than both of my tangs. Is that something I need to worry about with a foxface? I assume no because I've read that they are super peaceful, but figured I might as well ask while I'm here.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that it was a viral infection, so it never truly went away?

Also, there is a store that has a one-spot on sale for black friday that isn't too far away from me. The only issue is that he is a good bit bigger than both of my tangs. Is that something I need to worry about with a foxface? I assume no because I've read that they are super peaceful, but figured I might as well ask while I'm here.
Tried a LO once in my own 90 gal....he was indeed pretty peaceful, problem was my Yellow Tang (3.5 inch at time?) wasn't. You can guess who won. Not to say I wouldn't try it again....just cautious about it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one spot is smaller and the one you would want for a 90g. They get to their full size and because of their shape is a good size fish for a 90g. The lo will get almost 2" larger and grow pretty fast. I would avoid the lympth, whether he recovers or not, it's like herpes, it's never really gone. I had a bluejaw trigger that had it, when I transferred him to the dt, I scraped it off. It didn't come back for years, then appeared again one day, then disappeared again. Then came back and became very unsightly. It never spread to any other fish.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ItS the lesions which are contagious, like herpes as someone else mentioned, so if there are no lesions then they are in remission and aren’t actively shedding virus.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back