Frag famers market coral plan

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is getting pretty stable and I want to load up on coral at the farmers market. I'm going with softies and lps to start. The fish are all reef safe and we have some zoas and rbta that are doing well. Any ideas on stocking? The tank is around 400 gallons so plenty of room to spread out. I would rather go in with a plan than buy it all ad hoc.

20200220_194409.jpg

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best plan is to walk in with cash in $20 bills and dont put it away. Another tip is look at the map and match the vendors to Facebook and see who is posting what and design an attack plan that way

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is a monster. How long has it been up? My advice is if budget is important, set one. If this is your first reef tank and you're just starting out I would go easy on adding too many LPS's. Take your time, get to understand managing your parameters. Don't try to do it all in a day. That being said that's a huge tank and it'll take a while to fill up.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember
Nothing good in reefing happens fast.

Best part about FFM is the people you meet. You may be able to get a few local people who will be willing to sell to you at a later date so don't feel because this is FFM you need to buy 30 items all at once.

Also
With that beautiful new setup make sure to dip everything. Dipping kills most living things but not necessarily Eggs.
Read this from Adam at Battle Corals
Also with a tank that large a possible QT tank for a week or two may be a good precaution.

OP
OP
T

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have definitely learned that nothing happens fast in this hobby. The tank has been set up since September and its pretty stable at this point. I'm leaning towards going with soft coral on the left and right and hard in the middle later this year. So far its been an adventure but I have a long way to go.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is not a Coral Dip
It is an insecticide that people use as one

Though it does work there is no guarantee they won't alter the formula for one reason or another and it could harm things
Buy something meant for a reef tank in my opinion

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer on acropora and CoralRX on everything else. CoralRx is pretty strong stuff for acros.

I am sorry I will miss FFM this year (skiing Utah instead) but it is a great time so enjoy. Set your budget and take twice as much cash with you. :)

A couple things you might ponder about acclimation:
a) know your ALK, NO3, PO4 and compare them with what the vendor runs. Closer the better on these three.
b) Temp acclimate once you get home for an hour. No bright lights.
c) Visually inspect under magnification if possible. Look for egg patterns. Scrape off anything suspect. Dip does not kill eggs. If you find any, either toss the frag or prepare to repeat your dip twice more every 5-7 days.
d) Follow dip instructions to a "T" and don't over cook them in the dip.
e) Dim your lights if they are full on before placing the corals.

The corals have been under stress for 24-48 hours by the time they reach your home so be gentle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back