Frag swap tank?

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be doing some frag swaps this spring and been preparing most of winter, Ive got almost 100 frags now. I also purchased a 24X18X12 tank for the swap. My questions are besides lighting, and heater what else should I bring to be successful at the swap? Do I need powerhead, or will this agitate the water too much and obstruct viewing? Any other tips will be great since this is the first time I am going to be setting up tanks at the swaps.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a power head plugged into a power strip with switch so you can turn it off when folks are looking.

mfama417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a top down viewer and you can keep the powerhead running. Carbon in a small reactor or hob filter also isnt a bad idea

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you recommend I get a small top down viewer for a good price?
Do you use like a koralia nano, or what type of powerhead?
Could I just float some carbon?

Also I am planning on transporting the frags in large square Tupperware containers that will be able to fit smaller racks in so that I don't have to move the plugs from one rack to the tank. Is this a good idea?

Last edited:

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare, for me anyways to see frag tanks do well. Mainly because its frags and less care due to a main tank. My frag tank looks like crap because I let it get that way, best bet would be to plumb it into the main tank so your on track with water changes and parameters.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare, for me anyways to see frag tanks do well. Mainly because its frags and less care due to a main tank. My frag tank looks like crap because I let it get that way, best bet would be to plumb it into the main tank so your on track with water changes and parameters.

Eric,

I believe he is talking about setting up a frag tank for at the frag swap. So it is a temporary frag tank.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extension cord bags and buckets for water. I don't use water from the swops if it's offered because your corals are not going to have time to acclimate to new parameters if the water is different from what you run.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,

I believe he is talking about setting up a frag tank for at the frag swap. So it is a temporary frag tank.

Correct frag tank is doing great 70 plus frags all but a few are happy. Really just looking for tips from people who have had tanks at swaps, since Ive never done it.

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would be much better off with your water. Not sure if your frags are sps or lps but you wouldn't want all your zoas closed up or added stress of all the changes from tank to frag tank to customers tank all in the same day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back