Frag talk

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been noticing a lot of people in the selling forum using the term “mini colony” to describe what I would consider a frag while also seeing tiny nubs being sold as frags. I know that things like this don’t really affect anything and I completely understand that if I don’t feel that the price is where I am comfortable paying then I don’t buy it. Im not interested in making this a seller bashing thread or anything like that I just find it silly and it makes me laugh when I see mini colony in title and then see a frag that is 3/4 inch tall with 3 branches pictured. Pic for attention, this is a a good representation of what I’m seeing sold as mini colony but I purchased this along with all my SPS pieces from the same vendor and this is a FRAG according to them. This happens to be TCK Rainbow Fusion and it has 5 branches, you can also see the size of the RRPink Floyd and CC Bahama Mama Mille in the back.

CE3C1CD9-DAB4-44EE-ACBD-F3250DD1B0D5.jpeg

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic also came up in a local forum, I consider a colony or mini colony to be growing well abd about to grow off of the plug its on, this goes for zoas too. I posted this "mini colony" for sale locally, wwc nuclear fallout. I glued a "frag" on this plug about 4 or 5 months ago, it turned into a mini colony.
20201012_185151.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This topic also came up in a local forum, I consider a colony or mini colony to be growing well abd about to grow off of the plug its on, this goes for zoas too. I posted this "mini colony" for sale locally, wwc nuclear fallout. I glued a "frag" on this plug about 4 or 5 months ago, it turned into a mini colony.
20201012_185151.jpg
I wouldn't hesitate to call that a mini colony at all. Or simply a large frag. :p A mini colony to me is multiple branches and no visible plug, at least not the top part. Yours meets that criteria.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys must be from way back in the day when an inch was an actual refference to markings on a real ruler haha.

The shame of it all is that today's hobbyists often fail to realize that it's gonna take 2-3yrs of very good tank conditions for the nubs they buy to grow out.

And a bunch of these nubs get thrown into a brand new tank. Those nubs are gonna take 3-4yrs to grow out, which is longer than most new hobbyist keep their tank.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But at the same time, I'm totally guilty of buying a few nubs here and there. Sometimes that's all that's available on the newest hottest stuff.

A true 1" encrusted frag of rainbow splice would be like $2,500 even if you could find one.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back