OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got it going on! I like it. One thing, you might want to get the power supply out of your project box so the fan can keep it cool. The pot on the power supply allows you to make small adjustments to the voltage. I think most of mine will go from about 45v - 52v.

I see you used thermostat wire. I was using serial cables until I did one tank that was farther away from the controller than the others and had to use a 12' cable instead of the 6' that I used on the first ones. The LEDs were noticeably dimmer than the others. I checked the current and it was only 210 mA. I replaced the serial cable with thermostat wire and it went up to 670 mA.

Now all you need is a controller!
Thanks Harry! that is a real compliment coming from you. btw I went with c channel instead of square tube after seeing how successful your build was. Also your self tapping screw idea made the build very simple. So far the power supply has not ran hot. Maybe because its only pulling 2.9A of the possible 7.2A. I dunno, but I'll keep an eye on it. The original plan was to cut slits in the project box if need be.

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and btw 18-8 colored thermostat wire is a real blast for the colorblind like me ;)
I made more than one mistake, but had wifey check over everything before I plugged it in.

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummm so update time i guess...
I decided to put a 55 gallon mixing barrel in for saltwater, but to avoid taking up to much floor space I built it half in the wall and half out. I also plumbed in a spigot to hook my rodi unit to so i can directly fill the mixing barrel and ATO reservoir where they sit. it was a long weekend project but its almost finished. I just need to drill a hole through the cinderblock wall for the rodi waste to go through to the rain barrel outside. some pics:
hole in wall:

coming along:

almost done:

more pics to come!

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, battling some early hair algae. Had to upgrade my skimmer. Got that under control now, just waiting on Mark to open up so I can add some more coral and get my anthias harem. :)

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, battling some early hair algae. Had to upgrade my skimmer. Got that under control now, just waiting on Mark to open up so I can add some more coral and get my anthias harem. :)

glad to hear things are going well. hair algae isn't cool. I cant wait for Mark to open too. I know he said we could stop by and check things out, but I think I'm going to hold off until things actually open. we will see.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back