Frag Tank Build

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, starting a thread on my frag tank build. Its mostly going to be about the new leds I am building. I set up the tank this past weekend, but have to get some electrical issues worked out before I go too much further.

Tank specs:
40gal Breeder
currently skimerless
currently 4bulb T5 lit
in basement
20gal sump
eventually to be plumbed to display.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting I am going with leds. I decided to try out some inexpensive chinese 3watters with meanwell ldd drivers for this build. I will probably convert to crees within the year but just wasn't quite ready to make a final color combo and color ratio decision for the long run.

The drivers came in yesterday and man are they small. Its hard to believe these little things drive 14+ leds at greater than 95% efficiency. Here are some pics of the drivers

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply also came in, but it was a little beat up from shipping. Its a 48v 7.3A power supply. Can anyone tell me what the pot is for on the power supply?

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the tank now set up temporarily. It has 4 T5s and some led moonlights for the moment. Waiting for some more parts for the led temporary build. Once I get the basement sump placed for the display I will finalize the location of the frag tank.
Moonlights:

Daylight T5s:

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to properly wire the basement, but I am holding off because I will probably be upgrading the panel in the process. The house has a lot of the same electrical from 1955 when it was built. The wires look messy, but will be cleaned up when I get to the electrical work.

Temp has been humming along at about 74 degrees so I need to look into getting a heater, but as I am going to plum it to the display I will just get something for the temporary situation as well.

GaryjW2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet nice build will be following,going to be setting up 40g breeder frag tank a when Petco has there $1 gal sale.

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's officially a reef now
Live rock check
Fish check
Coral check
Salt check check
And a few snails for fun
1373594870940.jpg
1373594899876.jpg

Attachments

• 1373594927670.jpg
    1373594927670.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 324
OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video! Just a video I made of the tank up and running. Right now I am using it as a Display overflow tank as I am in the process of getting the Display tank moved and rescaped.
[video=youtube;wnTCepLaWFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTCepLaWFo[/video]

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lovely wife with one of the last boxes of coral from the move....she was a real trooper with my poor driving while she was holding a box full of saltwater and coral

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the way you have the flow in the tank
thanks...that flow is due to one of them new wp40 powerheads. I really like what I see with it. I picked one up because at the price they cant be beat. We'll have to wait and see on the durability though. If it lasts I will probably replace my mp40 on my display tank with one when it dies. I have even thought about getting a wp25 to go with the mp40 in the display instead of the korallia 1400. They are great pumps for the money so far.

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock avalanche took out the blue devil damsel today. found him pinned between the glass and a rock. sad day. I am planning on only keeping damsels in the frag tank. I may get a six line too, but that will be down the road. It is going to be a little bully tank

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical will be happening this week. I will be running two 20 amp circuits to the basement. One will be dedicated for the fish tank and most likely ground fault circuit interrupter protected and the other will be mostly for tools and fish tank overflow electric. Right now I am sitting on a 100 AMP subpanel for the house so I am a little limited until I upgrade the panel.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks...that flow is due to one of them new wp40 powerheads. I really like what I see with it. I picked one up because at the price they cant be beat. We'll have to wait and see on the durability though. If it lasts I will probably replace my mp40 on my display tank with one when it dies. I have even thought about getting a wp25 to go with the mp40 in the display instead of the korallia 1400. They are great pumps for the money so far.

Where did you get it? I think I am going to order one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back