Frag tank connected to display

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a frag tank plumed to there main tank if so can you show me pictures

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Really I just have another pump in my sump feeding the frag tank. Fortunately for me I have a basement fish room where my sump is, so I have more room to do this. I do have my emergency overflow from display going into the frag tank, but the other drains from display go to the sump. Then all drains from frag tank also go into the sump. A little confusing maybe, here's a picture...

20170130_201908-1600x1200.jpg

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Really I just have another pump in my sump feeding the frag tank. Fortunately for me I have a basement fish room where my sump is, so I have more room to do this. I do have my emergency overflow from display going into the frag tank, but the other drains from display go to the sump. Then all drains from frag tank also go into the sump. A little confusing maybe, here's a picture...

20170130_201908-1600x1200.jpg

e322af197ff76b000f8b004b30d62b4f.jpg
heres a picture of my sump I built I was planing on having a pump in the middle section going to the frag tank and then having it return to the middle section do you think that will work

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a old picture from when I first set it up but, For mine I simply tied into the return line coming off my chiller. I have the water split up between my frag tank, and going back to the sump that way it doesn’t super chill my frag tank.
D0BD128C-A0DC-45B8-99FC-A38F7B0E3481.jpeg
For mine I simply tied into the return line coming off my chiller. I have the water split up between my frag tank, and going back to the sump that way it doesn’t super chill my frag tank.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a picture of my sump I built I was planing on having a pump in the middle section going to the frag tank and then having it return to the middle section do you think that will work

Yeah that would absolutely work.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely! Should work no problem at all. You could actually feed 2 tanks with one pump, but you would need a bigger pump obviously. I also like having the frag tank and main display seperate in that regard. I can shut down the frag tank pump and mess around in there with my main display still running as usual!

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I just didn’t know if I would have to have it go back to a filter sock
That is just a matter of preference. You could always throw a filter sock in the middle section specifically for the drain from your frag tank. That’s similar to what I did.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planing on having a pump in the middle section going to the frag tank and then having it return to the middle section do you think that will work
Note that you may end up with bubbles from your return entering into the same section as your pump, which could cause cavitation (bubbles) in the pump rotor. If this happens, then the pump could have issues - under-performing, noise, possibly even failure.

Do you not have enough room in the final chamber? If you did, you could add a "bubble trap" in between the second and third chambers that should prevent these issues (the drain would still return to the second chamber in this case).

With the return from the frag bypassing the filter sock, you would likely also get a buildup of detritus in your sump over time. Is there a reason you wouldn't just return it into the filter sock(s)?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back