Frag tank considerations?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering setting up an actual frag tank in my house to step up my game on selling coral. Ive made a little bit of money off of it but my main issues is that i dont want to just shove a ton of coral into my main display just to propagate and sell, and I can only grow so much so fast. Most people that come to buy complain that they want things but i dont have enough to frag and sell them. I want to do a cheap set up. maybe a 50 gallon low, i already have a fluval 406 i dont use anymore to filter it. Ill probably use my old skimmer on it because im upgrading my main tank so ill have it just lying around. I plan on using hydor pumps because they are cheap and ive had amazing experiences with them. And i also plan on putting some blocks of marine pure for extra biological filtration and a home for some pods. Anyone have any suggestions on good but not too expensive lights just to grow the coral quickly? Id prefer LED but MAY be willing to try T5. Ive never done a dedicated frag system before and want to do a good job, and also dont want a situation where im kicking myself in the butt in 6 months for not setting it up a certain way and having to redo it. Id like to mainly do SPS (in line with acropora, montipora, maybe birds nest) and LPS (my hammers and frogspawn, maybe acans down the road if they get too big for my display), but maybe some softies like zoas. For basic things like gorgonians and what not im building a very small frag rack into the sump of my new tank so im not worried about that. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back