Frag tank plumbed in using auto water change system

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Some background. I live in a small condo and have a 90 gallon SPS tank with about 140 gallons total. There are lots of tanks of water (AWC, ATO, 20 gallon fuge, 10 gallon frag tank, and a 30 gallon sump) in a closet for my filtration and other needs. I'm at a point where I have so many frags my DT walls are lined with frag racks blocking my view and frags fall into my LPS (specifically my most expensive scolys) in the sand all the time. I am at a breaking point with this issue. Finally it is time to set up a little frag tank next to the closet and DT. I want to plumb in the tank without drilling it.

I do not want to have two separate systems and I am trying to figure out the most economic solution. My first thought was I could just rig up another Apex DOS to perform automatic water changes that will trade water from the frag tank to the main system evenly and often (ideally the entire volume of the frag tank DAILY which is 10 gallons). I have a few DOS pumps and they are pretty loud, especially when dosing larger amounts.

I looked up the Kamoer AWC pump. From the videos it is not as loud and I love that it has an ATO implemented because I will need that on the frak tank regardless.

Does anyone know of any pumps or DIY solutions to this issue? I want it to look clean with as little tubes as possible since this is in my already small living room.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Nick

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely upload some images of your current setup so others can offers some suggestions for you. I know that while noisier, the DOS are rock solid for performing AWC.

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely upload some images of your current setup so others can offers some suggestions for you. I know that while noisier, the DOS are rock solid for performing AWC.
Last night I ended up taking my trace elements (dosing 7ml per day) DOS offline and switching it to be an AWC to transfer water between the Display and Frag tanks. I have two old BRS dosers somewhere that i will hook back up to the trace elements in a few days... but for now the frag tank is now "plumbed" into my display so to speak. im excited to see how this ends up working out in the long run. I have about 100 SPS frags in the frag tank so i want it to be as stable as possible. I set the DOS to change out 8000 all day every day. hoping that should suffice for this 10 gallon frag tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I ended up taking my trace elements (dosing 7ml per day) DOS offline and switching it to be an AWC to transfer water between the Display and Frag tanks. I have two old BRS dosers somewhere that i will hook back up to the trace elements in a few days... but for now the frag tank is now "plumbed" into my display so to speak. im excited to see how this ends up working out in the long run. I have about 100 SPS frags in the frag tank so i want it to be as stable as possible. I set the DOS to change out 8000 all day every day. hoping that should suffice for this 10 gallon frag tank.
8000ml translates to 2 US gallons per day - so that works out to about a 20% refresh rate (should be more than sufficient).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back