Frag tanks plumbing

ck24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m getting ready to set up some frag tanks. 2 x 40g and 1x 70g I’m running one sump. Question is should I run all return lines from the sump with gate valves so I can dial the flow in better or would ball valves be fine. Running a DC return pump (adjustable flow). I think I know the answer I need 9 gate valves. Just seeing what others have done ect.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just plan out how much flow you want from your returns first, then just use a single gate or ball valve near the return pump to finely tune it to where you want.

Personally, I only use the return to get flow to and from the sump, not to create flow within the tank. In tank flow is the job of powerheads.

If you go with your plan of having 9 different returns and valves, it is going to take a long time to dial them all in. When you turn valve #1, it's going to put more pressure on the other valves and give them more flow. Then when you turn valve #2 it will put more pressure on valve #1 and probably alter the flow. In theory it should be able to work and you'll be able to eventually get all the outlets to where you want them, but in practice this is going to be time consuming.

If I was going to go the route of having multiple returns from the return pump, I would set them all up and use the adjustment on the DC pump to control the amount of flow coming from them. Add in some RFG nozzles if needed, but keep it as simple as you can.

OP
OP
ck24

ck24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just plan out how much flow you want from your returns first, then just use a single gate or ball valve near the return pump to finely tune it to where you want.

Personally, I only use the return to get flow to and from the sump, not to create flow within the tank. In tank flow is the job of powerheads.

If you go with your plan of having 9 different returns and valves, it is going to take a long time to dial them all in. When you turn valve #1, it's going to put more pressure on the other valves and give them more flow. Then when you turn valve #2 it will put more pressure on valve #1 and probably alter the flow. In theory it should be able to work and you'll be able to eventually get all the outlets to where you want them, but in practice this is going to be time consuming.

If I was going to go the route of having multiple returns from the return pump, I would set them all up and use the adjustment on the DC pump to control the amount of flow coming from them. Add in some RFG nozzles if needed, but keep it as simple as you can.
Yeah I’ve been thinking the same thing with all the tweaking. I might just go with it and see how it does. My concern is the two small tanks getting the right flow as they will be further away. Maybe I’ll just do a gate valve to the bigger tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve been thinking the same thing with all the tweaking. I might just go with it and see how it does. My concern is the two small tanks getting the right flow as they will be further away. Maybe I’ll just do a gate valve to the bigger tank.
I would probably look at the overflow situation and sump capacity first, then worry about the returns.

Figure out how much flow each one can handle then worry about getting close to that with the return. If all 3 tanks have a single durso pipe (they can handle about 700gph without being too loud) then you're going to be in the 2000gph range with the return pump. Can the sump handle this kind of flow? You may be over designing these returns and never have to touch a single valve

OP
OP
ck24

ck24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would probably look at the overflow situation and sump capacity first, then worry about the returns.

Figure out how much flow each one can handle then worry about getting close to that with the return. If all 3 tanks have a single durso pipe (they can handle about 700gph without being too loud) then you're going to be in the 2000gph range with the return pump. Can the sump handle this kind of flow? You may be over designing these returns and never have to touch a single valve
Yeah I probably am.
Sump is plenty big 75 gallon +. Thank for the input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back