Fragging 101 I Favia Brain Coral

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Methodology:

The method I use for fragging the majority of hard corals is primarily the same with the cutting tooling being a Gryphon band saw.

Cooling liquid used is fresh mixed saltwater with enough iodine to color it a light amber. This helps to disinfect cuts as they’re made which has shown to greatly increase frag survival.

All corals are stored during cutting in a small bucket holding water taken directly from their home aquarium. This water is used both to keep them wet as well as for rinsing any flesh away from cuts while I’m working on them.

All finished, and rinsed, frags or trimmed colonies are soaked in Brightwell Aquatics Restor dip to insure that minimal flesh is lost.

Both soak buckets are rinsed and replenished between colonies to reduce the risk of interactions between loose flesh of different coral species.

Notes about Favia:

Favia is one of the corals that will bear significant advantages if corallite boundaries are followed, so when cutting these corals, I always try to follow directly along the top of corallite walls.

As with most LPS corals with encrusting growth, cutting frags as thinly as possible will help to accelerate growth.

https://fragging101.wordpress.com/favia-fragging-101/

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/favia/
11e67cd56d31bbf1d581a04ce2102af3.jpg
2b3f1a49fe2df14f33efb95d4bf5ea6a.jpg
64beed635a8395a4412af967c6b4e492.jpg
44020280fbb804625c8a6d57ba5dcaa7.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if there are ways to, relatively easily, frag these type of LPS's without a wet band saw? I just don't have access to one and I know that there are others who might want to know. Nice Vid!

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if there are ways to, relatively easily, frag these type of LPS's without a wet band saw? I just don't have access to one and I know that there are others who might want to know. Nice Vid!
There are a ton of different ways you can cut them. Tile saws are another really good method, but you can also score the top with a dremmel and break them pretty easily.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back