Fragging 101 I Goniopora

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikejrice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I love the details and a great video @mikejrice. Thank you for sharing. How long do the frags take to heal and start growing? I lost one green Goniopora frag. It was white all around the base, so seems like a fresh cut. It was a 1 inch frag. The polyps retracted and slowly receded.
 
I love the details and a great video @mikejrice. Thank you for sharing. How long do the frags take to heal and start growing? I lost one green Goniopora frag. It was white all around the base, so seems like a fresh cut. It was a 1 inch frag. The polyps retracted and slowly receded.
It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for them to heal and begin showing new growth along the fresh edges. That said, green goniopora is a completely different animal, literally, from the red one I cut in the video. They are very nearly impossible to keep, and cutting them is often the beginning of them receding. It's unlikely that there's anything realistic you could have done especially if it was a fresh cut as they heal much better in the water they were in when cut.
 
It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for them to heal and begin showing new growth along the fresh edges. That said, green goniopora is a completely different animal, literally, from the red one I cut in the video. They are very nearly impossible to keep, and cutting them is often the beginning of them receding. It's unlikely that there's anything realistic you could have done especially if it was a fresh cut as they heal much better in the water they were in when cut.

Good to know. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I would feed both the pink and green. Pink is thriving while Green receded.
 
Good to know. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I would feed both the pink and green. Pink is thriving while Green receded.
Exactly the outcome most reef systems would see. The green ones are tough.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new