Fragging 101 I Goniopora

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Methodology:

The method I use for fragging the majority of hard corals is primarily the same with the cutting tooling being an Inland band saw.

Cooling liquid used is fresh mixed saltwater with enough iodine to color it a light amber. This helps to disinfect cuts as they’re made which has shown to greatly increase frag survival.

All corals are stored during cutting in a small bucket holding water taken directly from their home aquarium. This water is used both to keep them wet as well as for rinsing any flesh away from cuts while I’m working on them.

All finished, and rinsed, frags or trimmed colonies are soaked in Brightwell Aquatics Restor dip to insure that minimal flesh is lost.

Both soak buckets are rinsed and replenished between colonies to reduce the risk of interactions between loose flesh of different coral species.

Notes about Goniopora:

In order to keep goniopora colonies that I frag display worthy, I cut a thin slice directly from the bottom of the colony. This piece is fragged while the remainder of the colony can go back in a display, cut side down to grow back out.

Goniopora should be fragged with caution! Their skeleton may appear dense, but they are actually made up of tiny slivers. When cutting with tools that may throw waste material, be sure to cover all skin.

Learned that one the hard way!

I’m sure you would probably be better off if you could devise a way to miss all the polyps when cutting goniopora, but they still fair really well even if cut in half. For this reason, I make strait cuts and grow out the half heads later.

https://fragging101.wordpress.com/goniopora-fragging-101/

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/goniopora/

01af4c44f6db43d345a23091d5eb5207.jpg

1101bf666daa4f64209ea089fac1ff69.jpg

2e8b72523a1a9345150c6de0c51d5d9a.jpg

3cf948a7e32e6df72c63381029846885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great man! Thank you so much!

How long have you had the Inland Band Saw?

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! When you say you cut a piece off the bottom for frags, does the bottom of the colony have polyps on it? The neat thing about gonis is how a fairly small frag can still look big with full polyp extension!

Itsander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video, really impressive.
I tell my friends that if I spend another 5 years in this hobby, I'll definnily end up with a master degree in biology;);)

Itsander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video, really impressive.
I tell my friends that if I spend another 5 years in this hobby, I'll definnily end up with a master degree in biology

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Methodology:

The method I use for fragging the majority of hard corals is primarily the same with the cutting tooling being an Inland band saw.

Cooling liquid used is fresh mixed saltwater with enough iodine to color it a light amber. This helps to disinfect cuts as they’re made which has shown to greatly increase frag survival.

All corals are stored during cutting in a small bucket holding water taken directly from their home aquarium. This water is used both to keep them wet as well as for rinsing any flesh away from cuts while I’m working on them.

All finished, and rinsed, frags or trimmed colonies are soaked in Brightwell Aquatics Restor dip to insure that minimal flesh is lost.

Both soak buckets are rinsed and replenished between colonies to reduce the risk of interactions between loose flesh of different coral species.

Notes about Goniopora:

In order to keep goniopora colonies that I frag display worthy, I cut a thin slice directly from the bottom of the colony. This piece is fragged while the remainder of the colony can go back in a display, cut side down to grow back out.

Goniopora should be fragged with caution! Their skeleton may appear dense, but they are actually made up of tiny slivers. When cutting with tools that may throw waste material, be sure to cover all skin.

Learned that one the hard way!

I’m sure you would probably be better off if you could devise a way to miss all the polyps when cutting goniopora, but they still fair really well even if cut in half. For this reason, I make strait cuts and grow out the half heads later.

https://fragging101.wordpress.com/goniopora-fragging-101/

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/goniopora/

01af4c44f6db43d345a23091d5eb5207.jpg

1101bf666daa4f64209ea089fac1ff69.jpg

2e8b72523a1a9345150c6de0c51d5d9a.jpg

3cf948a7e32e6df72c63381029846885.jpg

this is awesome !!!
i have not done any of this and you really helped me, i see frags in my future... well once i get my tank up and running, and get coral, and grow coral, and so on...lol

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! When you say you cut a piece off the bottom for frags, does the bottom of the colony have polyps on it? The neat thing about gonis is how a fairly small frag can still look big with full polyp extension!
I think he means cut towards the bottom portion of the colony, not the bottom itself. That way your beautiful ball of goni doesn't look like someone scalped it if you cut the top portion off.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up! Get to it @FarmerTy !
Great write-up! I'll have to employ your methods regarding iodine and a dip afterwards. I did an alveopora back in the day as a test piece and it was about a 80% survival rate. I'd imagine doing the iodine and dip will definitely increase that.

I've never owned an Inland saw but I definitely love my Gryphon saw.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add wear googles that completely cover your eyes. I got some in the corner of my eye using a dremel and thought I was going to end up going to emergency.
Good to know. I wear regular glasses and would probably not have thought to do this.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, thanks for sharing! I have got to get myself one of those saws haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back