Fragging a Hawkins

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I try to frag my Hawkins, the frags RTN from the base overnight. I've tried keeping the frags in the DT, moving them to the frag tank, dipping/not dipping, but I always get the same end result. I've tried cutting small frags and large frags and even placement under the same exact lighting/flow by wedging the frags into the rock beside the colony. Anyone have any pointers to help prevent future losses? :eek:oh:

Larsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fraged my Hawkins many of times with no problem. The only thing I do diff is dose vitamin C. And cut with cutters, I don't just break it off.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cutting with bone cutters, but I've never dosed vitamin C after fragging. Do you attach the frags with superglue gel, epoxy, or something else? Also, do you dip after fragging? It's driving me nuts because I've never had any problems with any other corals... just the Hawkins. It's getting pretty annoying to cut a 1.5" frag, only to watch it RTN. :cry:

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed hawkins doesn't much like being out of the water for very long, when i make my frags i do it under water and only take them out long enough to quickly glue them and back in they go.

bigger frags and less handling is better as well.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar issues, several times, with Hawkins. I recently made 4 frags of my Hawkins, out of water. All 4 died, over the next 2 days. I made 4 more frags, still out of water, but very quickly put each frag into a small bowl of tank water. I glued all 4 frags to plugs, again, quickly and this time, they all survived.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...maybe I'll try using epoxy instead of superglue gel so that I don't need to wait for the glue to dry out of water. Thanks for the tips guys!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use superglue gel, BUT, with a small pippette, I squirt tank water over the drying frag, every few seconds, until the glue is set.

Larsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use super glue gel and frag 1/2 inch pieces i do not dip. and have not lost one. Sorry bro

mr.coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost a bunch also overnight. The key is to cut it in a little bowl of water don't really take it out of the water other then to glue and then put it right back were it came from

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkins seems to be a very hardy coral once established, but like you've experienced, it can be a very touchy fragger...Like D said, the key to sustaining Hawkins frags is minimal air exposure, combined with very small amounts of super glue gel. Def. wouldn't use epoxy as the the heat from the chemical reaction always seem to bother any sps frag, so I would stay away from it on a sensitive fragger like the hawkins.

Ive had great luck snipping the frag, leaving it in the water never exposing it to air, then letting the frag rest in egg crate or the sand bed for a day or two before gluing it. Seems to work for me. HTH

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back