Fragging Chili Coral

Eatfrenchfries

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Messages
216
Reaction score
184
Location
Portland, Oregon
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20220325_112824.jpg

Feeding brine shrimp everyday has gone a long way in terms of growth. Just wanted to make sure in order to propogate this one I have to cut it with scissors while it is fully extended. Best way to attach is wedging it with rock + rubber band. Help is appreciated.
 
Not to hijack, but I've had my eye on chili coral for a while, but they're deemed difficult. What is your experience with them, and what makes them so challenging?
 
They are non photosynthetic. They only eat a certain size of food. Just need to find a food available for them, I use brine shrimp. They do well hanging upside down because they don't actually have a structure. Mine opens late afternoon to the late morning. Sometimes it stays open during the day. Flow is a must to keep algae and detritus off them. I've had mine for close to a year and it's grown a lot.
 
Basically need to be able to have food for it available whenever it's open and adequate filtration. Hence I breed brine shrimp 24/y
 
They are non photosynthetic. They only eat a certain size of food. Just need to find a food available for them, I use brine shrimp. They do well hanging upside down because they don't actually have a structure. Mine opens late afternoon to the late morning. Sometimes it stays open during the day. Flow is a must to keep algae and detritus off them. I've had mine for close to a year and it's grown a lot.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll stay away from NPS corals for a bit.
 
@sp1187

I think you've fragged the chili.
i just fragged one of my smaller ones.
i was able to frag it into three at the rock (with rock attached) which doesn't help you in this case.
i'll be fragging a larger one once it opens up completely again. ( it's mad because i moved it.)
attaching it i will do the same as what i do with my leather frags.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mikes-150-tall.515365/page-64#post-9415414

i feed mine frozen brine & mysis & R.O.E. from Reef Nutrition.
 
i just fragged one of my smaller ones.
i was able to frag it into three at the rock (with rock attached) which doesn't help you in this case.
i'll be fragging a larger one once it opens up completely again. ( it's mad because i moved it.)
attaching it i will do the same as what i do with my leather frags.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mikes-150-tall.515365/page-64#post-9415414

i feed mine frozen brine & mysis & R.O.E. from Reef Nutrition.
I've never seen someone use a pick to hold a softie like that. Gonna have to try it out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new