Long Tentacle Fungia Fragging

charliereef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2025
Messages
81
Reaction score
40
Location
Mexico
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral grew like 2 inches in a month and now I have to frag it, my only other experience fragging was with acans, sps and euphyllia but I'm scared to kill it. Looking for tips to frag this one succesfully. Any help is appreciated

20260629_174817.jpg
 
Heliofungia

I am not sure if these are good candidates for fragmentation?
 
My coral grew like 2 inches in a month and now I have to frag it, my only other experience fragging was with acans, sps and euphyllia but I'm scared to kill it. Looking for tips to frag this one succesfully. Any help is appreciated

20260629_174817.jpg
Heliofungia are very difficult to keep. They sometimes live a few months but eventually pass away.

You have a beautiful specimen. I am pretty sure it will die if you frag it. If the fungia absolutely cannot fit in your tank you may want to rehome it.
 
My coral grew like 2 inches in a month and now I have to frag it, my only other experience fragging was with acans, sps and euphyllia but I'm scared to kill it. Looking for tips to frag this one succesfully. Any help is appreciated

20260629_174817.jpg
It’s a difficult coral to frag but it is doable. All it requires is that your system has no fluctuations and is mature before it is fragged.

Do you have a bandsaw as I find this is a coral which must be fragged on a band saw because of how clean the cut is required to be.
 
Heliofungia are very difficult to keep. They sometimes live a few months but eventually pass away.

You have a beautiful specimen. I am pretty sure it will die if you frag it. If the fungia absolutely cannot fit in your tank you may want to rehome it.
I have another tank upstairs so if it comes to that I can move it there but i'd rather keep it here, obviously if the risk is too high I think I'll move it upstairs
 
It’s a difficult coral to frag but it is doable. All it requires is that your system has no fluctuations and is mature before it is fragged.

Do you have a bandsaw as I find this is a coral which must be fragged on a band saw because of how clean the cut is required to be.
No bandsaw unfortunately, tank is about year and a half running, pretty stable.
 
No bandsaw unfortunately, tank is about year and a half running, pretty stable.
Yeah, I wouldn’t frag a Helio without a bandsaw due to the high level of risk if the cut doesn’t occur too well.

A year and a half is good but I’ve found it can still be a bit 50/50 with will it survive or not. I’d say wait for the tank to be maybe 3 years old unless you’re testing for Mg, Ca, Kh etc. on a daily basis. This is one of the most sensitive corals when fragged IME.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new