Fragging Encrusting Montis

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on how to frag Sunset Monti, have a large rock covered and would like to reduce its size.

Thanks!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL not sure, I'm kinda in the same boat and was going to give it a try and see what one worked when I do my tank transfer.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...well whoever goes first will let the other know!!

Now I gotta get my dremel back from my buddy

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can just use bone cutters to snip pieces of the rock. Chisels and hammers work rather well too. This particular monti is almost bulletproof so if will handle a good amount of abuse. After you get it to the size you want, surround it with some epoxy putty and when it grows over it, pull it out and you will have a good supple of frags for selling or giving away. At least that's what I did with some of my encrusting montis.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the thinnest cutting wheel you have. The green "quick release" and a pack of ultra thin cutting wheels works great (they are like $9 for a pack of 5 at HD or Lowes). Short of that, bone cutters will work.

Best possible thing to use is a bandsaw - but most of us don't have $300 or the room for a water cooled bandsaw in our apartments...

If you don't have a dremel and the bone cutters won't fit around it you can use a chisel or a giglia saw (the flexible line - they use it for cutting PVC sometimes - looks like a garrote if you watch Borgias or Game of Thrones)

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring it to me and I will run it through my reef keeper saw for you, if it's attached to rock it will take you for ever with a dremel.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring it to me and I will run it through my reef keeper saw for you, if it's attached to rock it will take you for ever with a dremel.

That would be awesome! Good excuse to get out of the house and check out your system. Its on the perfect rock too! Can you PM me your number and could set this up?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back