Fragging promote growth ? Acros

sticksreef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
284
Reaction score
115
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just want to share my anecdotal information here. I remember a post where they experiment fragging to promote growth but i think it didn’t conclude.

So my observation: i have some corals that i cut and then it started to grow more where i cut it. Maybe the coral is “focussing” to heal that part so it grow faster and might put out more branches.

i have some comparison pictures here. The red one o cut it where is highlighted in green, you can see the branch that infut grew wayyy faster than the branch next to it. Than another pic where i cut it in the side and it started to grow on that direction.

As stated above, just my observation.

8D3F5D1F-69EA-4D0B-B6FA-B7085874B358.jpeg 0EB57D01-2CD1-4717-943A-3DDD224AC9F6.jpeg 62695684-7E11-4D78-9950-D2E2704D2359.jpeg
 
It’s been a common observation for a while now amongst sps keepers. I have an acro that had kind of stalled after some stability issues so I fragged a few areas and it’s growing very rapidly from those cut areas.
 
Yep if a colony stalls out, first thing Ill do is snip some tips.
 
Same thing here, every time I make a frag a new one grows back within a week or two.
 
Somewhat related, I have noticed some pretty quick encrusting going on by my frags in very high flow on my rack. I wonder of the bouncing around of the frag plug in the rack is causing them to focus a lot of energy what their base.
 
Somewhat related, I have noticed some pretty quick encrusting going on by my frags in very high flow on my rack. I wonder of the bouncing around of the frag plug in the rack is causing them to focus a lot of energy what their base.
I have noticed. .
The frags I have in my rack ( also a high flow area ) have focused more on encrusting and not growing taller

one in a different location has started to turn brown on the tips ( I was thinking about cutting them )
 
Is cutting the tips off .
does this also apply to tips turning brown ?
Not necessarily. Usually after cutting the tips off the new ones will be a lot lighter and color up within a few days
 
I have noticed. .
The frags I have in my rack ( also a high flow area ) have focused more on encrusting and not growing taller

one in a different location has started to turn brown on the tips ( I was thinking about cutting them )
They will usually establish a strong foundation on whatever they were attached to before sprouting new branches.
 
I do notice some of my tips brown but growth continues.

I have noticed. .
The frags I have in my rack ( also a high flow area ) have focused more on encrusting and not growing taller

one in a different location has started to turn brown on the tips ( I was thinking about cutting them )
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new