Fragging promote growth ? Acros

sticksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just want to share my anecdotal information here. I remember a post where they experiment fragging to promote growth but i think it didn’t conclude.

So my observation: i have some corals that i cut and then it started to grow more where i cut it. Maybe the coral is “focussing” to heal that part so it grow faster and might put out more branches.

i have some comparison pictures here. The red one o cut it where is highlighted in green, you can see the branch that infut grew wayyy faster than the branch next to it. Than another pic where i cut it in the side and it started to grow on that direction.

As stated above, just my observation.

8D3F5D1F-69EA-4D0B-B6FA-B7085874B358.jpeg 0EB57D01-2CD1-4717-943A-3DDD224AC9F6.jpeg 62695684-7E11-4D78-9950-D2E2704D2359.jpeg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a common observation for a while now amongst sps keepers. I have an acro that had kind of stalled after some stability issues so I fragged a few areas and it’s growing very rapidly from those cut areas.

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same thing here, every time I make a frag a new one grows back within a week or two.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat related, I have noticed some pretty quick encrusting going on by my frags in very high flow on my rack. I wonder of the bouncing around of the frag plug in the rack is causing them to focus a lot of energy what their base.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat related, I have noticed some pretty quick encrusting going on by my frags in very high flow on my rack. I wonder of the bouncing around of the frag plug in the rack is causing them to focus a lot of energy what their base.
I have noticed. .
The frags I have in my rack ( also a high flow area ) have focused more on encrusting and not growing taller

one in a different location has started to turn brown on the tips ( I was thinking about cutting them )

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is cutting the tips off .
does this also apply to tips turning brown ?
Not necessarily. Usually after cutting the tips off the new ones will be a lot lighter and color up within a few days

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have noticed. .
The frags I have in my rack ( also a high flow area ) have focused more on encrusting and not growing taller

one in a different location has started to turn brown on the tips ( I was thinking about cutting them )
They will usually establish a strong foundation on whatever they were attached to before sprouting new branches.

weelo111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do notice some of my tips brown but growth continues.

I have noticed. .

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back