OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Well done. Thank you for sharing this process. Looking forward to more updates. I wonder how long before the little guys round off?

I wonder that as well. Seeing as how this is my first go at it I don't have any answers yet. However, these were cut from a smaller scoly and I was thinking that the smaller frags might round out a bit quicker and likely eventually end up quite round. But, only time will tell. That or someone else with more experience chimes in.

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. BTW...The video shows cutting an end piece of the Scoly. I was told when you cut a Scoly, you have to make sure each piece has part of the mouth. Otherwise the Scoly starves and dies. Does anyone know if this is true!?

OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scoly was a siamese twin scoly. So I seperated the two scolys. Which is what you see in the above video. Then cut it through the center leaving a bit of mouth for each of the three frags. I have cut a couple of tiny frags as they seemed to want to separate. But they are so small most people wouldn't even try to grow them. So if they don't make it I wouldn't blame it on not having a mouth. Next time I do it I will likely try a couple of mouthless frags.

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grafted a ufo and bleeding apple *** together. I have been waiting it out. They receeded at first but after a month they came back. Based on the growth
I think grow out will be at least a year. I started two months ago.

OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scolys feeding:

ba4a5edy.jpg
y8y4e8us.jpg

4uzy6ygy.jpg
u5aneryb.jpg

3yduhuqa.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep us updated and congrats!

OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been enjoying watching these guys progress. I think that I have decided to build up some structure underneath them with some sort of epoxy/putty type product. So, now I will need to research. Then I will build up some structure so that the scolys can just grow out instead of having to build up to make a normal looking Scoly.

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been enjoying watching these guys progress. I think that I have decided to build up some structure underneath them with some sort of epoxy/putty type product. So, now I will need to research. Then I will build up some structure so that the scolys can just grow out instead of having to build up to make a normal looking Scoly.

Any new updates! :smile:

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest addition cut 2 weeks ago doing very good eating crazy. Cool thread

Attachments

• 1390521254285.jpg
    1390521254285.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 618

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're interested in mouthless frags and just recently have something to input. I don't recall exactly when, but around 10 months ago I fed a war paint scoly and afterward a crab must have gone after the food. I never saw the event, but afterward I found the scoly completely devoid of a mouth and most of its oral disk. Pretty much all that was left was the outer very fleshy part. I thought it would be a goner but threw it in my sump under t-5's. Within the last couple weeks I have been able to see decent growth and 3 new mouths form. 1/4 of the outer tissue died but the other 3/4 have each grown new mouths and they can be fed. I started this week feeding hikari marine 's'. I am thinking that the growth time for them to become actual scolys will be months more - and tiny ones at that. If you're into a science experiment go ahead, but the turn around time on these mouthless pieces is crazy long.

On a side note, what is the reason you fragged these? I have been thinking about doing it to several others to sell at our frag swaps. I could make small frags, heal them, and sell them cheap so others can enjoy them. I hate the price tag they have so this benefits everyone by having frags(not wild pieces) and cheaper prices locally.

OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at some point I decided I wanted a Scoly but found them a bit spendy. I discovered a few folks were fragging them and tried to get a few people to go in with me. But, without solid commitments I found a Siamese twin Scoly to experiment on. I have been enjoying it so far.

OP
OP
mrnewberry

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used some aquascape construction epoxy to build up around the frags so they would have a better framework to grow onto. These pictures were taken right after I did it. It will be several hours before the epoxy has cured.

esuratam.jpg

agybujuz.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back