image.jpg

image.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful zoas and photos! Update some of your old ones too! :)

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zoa collection is stunning mate!

Do you mind telling us a bit more about the setup, light schedule-spectrum, feeding, etc ?

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zoa collection is stunning mate!

Do you mind telling us a bit more about the setup, light schedule-spectrum, feeding, etc ?

Hi Deniss. :)

Thank you.

My display tank is a typical Berlin Style set up with a fuge, I try not to push my fuge too much with heavy lighting as I have a lot of LPS in that tank and other bits that don't like it when the nitrates bottom out, I'm also easy on the skimmer, have it at minimum position and raised on stilts. I have kessils I don't know the spectrum but I run colour at 25%. I have about 12 fish and feed on average 1 cube a day. Auto dose reef flowers 2 part. Rowa (recommended dose)

My frag tank that has most my zoas in has a ati 8 tube dimmable, I was using a reef brite strip with it but now I'm using 2x E5 blue pop and 6x T5s (recent addition, like a couple of weeks ago)
I feed little amounts to the fish in this tank, usually half a syringe of the cube for my DT. No skimmer cup, no macro algae, just Rowa phos in a micron bag. 10% WC once a week. Change rowa once a week using 1/3 of the amount suggested.

I don't recommend rowa in a reactor or pushing it too much towards the suggested full amount to use ( 1 gram per gallon) as I find they easily clog and you then get a spike followed by a stripping of phos which usually ends in major stress to the zoas and corals.

I try my best to never chang my lights, try not to knock my kessils, try to never change the programme. I also try my best to never change my wavemaker settings.
I find doing either of them can bring on stress, cheesing out and melting.

I used to have skimmer collecting and macro algae in my frag tank but I found I was always on the threshold of "being too clean". Zoas would develops bacteria, which I thought may be algae / cyano (could be cyano spec.) on the base of the polyps and if I went away for 2 days id come back to zoas on the brink. I found as soon as I removed my macro and skimmer cup everything started looking a lot better, I didn't have to feed so much, which can fuel pests and water changes didn't make the zoas look melty for a few days. I believe not skiming or not over skimming is very beneficial to zoas and is the food they need (aminos, fatty acids, omega 3, minerals, protein!) not the nitrate / phos etc.

After a few years doing this I think I am finally learning to keep things simple with zoas. A lot of the things that people do which cause problems are unnecessary IMO, I.e rowa reactor (spikes and stripping) over feeding and over skimming, dosing high amounts of cal and mag, using macro algae. They all can cause problems and more than likely restrict growth in a dedicated Zoa system as they can all cause instability and stress.

Sorry I think I've rambled, thanks for taking an interest. :)

More photos coming, this week has been awesome for my collection. I have some more new ones, one of which I've waited over 2 years for, and I'm getting more tomorrow that are very hard to get hold of in the UK.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mate,

Thank you so much for the nice and complete writing of your setup! I really appreciate it, the best way to learn is from people that are verry well experienced!
I started with some zoa frags, and now the addiction caught me. It's such an addicting hobby, but soo nice when you master it...i wish one day i can reef and have my zoa's as beautifull as yours!

Your lighting do you mainly use the blue lights or the white? I used to have 1 hour blue,8 hours white and 1 hour blue..but after reading some topics i switched my lighting schedule similiar to Joshporksandwhich lighting
that i found in a reef magazine from 2013. It's 3 hours white and 8 hours blue now, but some people even go with complete blue light. Would love to hear what yours is!

Do you believe in the dosing of vitamine c?

Last week i placed a chaeto reactor on my tank, as i had recently a green hair algae outbreak. Luckily it isn't growing near my zoa's yet, i use the reverse lighting schedule to stabilise ph.
Do you never encouter algae problems without macro algae or skimming?

Your frag tank is it scaped or just eggcrate to hold frags?

Sorry for the many questions, looking out to see the upcomming photo's of your new addition!

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mate,

Thank you so much for the nice and complete writing of your setup! I really appreciate it, the best way to learn is from people that are verry well experienced!
I started with some zoa frags, and now the addiction caught me. It's such an addicting hobby, but soo nice when you master it...i wish one day i can reef and have my zoa's as beautifull as yours!

Your lighting do you mainly use the blue lights or the white? I used to have 1 hour blue,8 hours white and 1 hour blue..but after reading some topics i switched my lighting schedule similiar to Joshporksandwhich lighting
that i found in a reef magazine from 2013. It's 3 hours white and 8 hours blue now, but some people even go with complete blue light. Would love to hear what yours is!

I run blue for 10 hours with 1.5 ramp up and tamp down so 7 at full intensity.
Whites or non LeD's come on at same time and have 1.5 ramp up also and full for 6 then down over 1.5

Do you believe in the dosing of vitamine c?

I've never done it. Afaik it's just a form of carbon dosing. If your nutrients are high just up the lighting.

Last week i placed a chaeto reactor on my tank, as i had recently a green hair algae outbreak. Luckily it isn't growing near my zoa's yet, i use the reverse lighting schedule to stabilise ph.
Do you never encouter algae problems without macro algae or skimming?

IMO they can bother strip too much out that the zoas want. It's ok if you can keep it stable and you feed a lot. Feeding a lot brings other problems - hydroids, vernatid snails, spaghetti worms, gamarid amphipods.

Your frag tank is it scaped or just eggcrate to hold frags?

Just egg crate, and a couple of pieces of love rock for my tang to hide in/under. My sump is full of love rock also which gets covered in sponges as I don't have a refugium light - sponge don't like light.

Sorry for the many questions, looking out to see the upcomming photo's of your new addition!

No problem it's a pleasure.

One thing I will add is the more you learn about this hobby and zoas the more you will realise that you know very little. I am still learning, I feel like I have decades of research to go before I can call myself any thing like an expert. There's so many variables but to keep zoas happy you have to have little changes, anything drastic or radical will end in disaster.

I posted into your message in red mate :)

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, BtW my tank has Live rock in it, not Love rock <3

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply mate, will keep a close eye on the reactor. The chaeto has been growing verry fast, this was suggested to me too battle the green hair algae.
What would you do in case of green hair algae problem? I have been reading alot about tangs, but sadly my tank is too small for now. I have a feeling starving the algae out with the chaeto
is not a good idea after reading your post.

I'm currently feeding a mix now every 2 days that contains suggested dosage by the manufacturer: reef roids, reef pearls, fauna marin zoa food, aquavitro fuel and aquaforest phyto mix.
But i think i will split it in half and do a daily smaller feeding to keep things more stable as you suggested. I have only fed this mix for the first time 2days ago, i 'm about to feed my tank right now ;)

You said if your nutrients are high, upper the light. How can you make sure you don't shock or make a zoa melt? I'm currently upping my light by 1 % a day, as a frag in the mid of my tank is stretching. But it got me stuck for now, as a frag on the bottom got more dull in coloring. I don't know if this can be related to upping the light intensity?

It's verry tempting to start a frag tank up, to collect zoa's and have them nicely displayed. But i have a long way to go of learning and experience.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos and even better zoa assortment!
I enjoyed reading over your tank setups and lighting used. I wish more people who post would do the same. I run similar systems, but use LED's primarily. My current build will have a T5/LED combo. I do have periodic bacterial infections that mainly are isolated to recent cut frags, can you elaborate on what you think may have been causing your bacterial infections?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back