Fred's 225 Build

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I have been debating when to start this thread. I am getting back into the hobby after several years of being away. I have to say that I am amazed new methods and technologies out there. I have had several saltwater tanks starting with an under gravel filter fish only 55 gallon though 150 reef tank. I have had great success with my reef tanks with some hard lessons learned along the way.

All of that being said I have started my 225 build and currently load testing both the tank stand and the sump bench. The design of the aquarium will be 225 display tank in our living room and the sumps and assorted equipment located in the basement directly below the tank.

The following pictures are of the build so far. The tank stand is constructed of 2x6 and painted with an oil base white paint. The sump stand is built with a combination of 2x4 and 2x6 that is tap coned in to the concrete wall in the back ground. this is also painted with an oil based paint.

In the pictures one will see a Trigger 39 sump (this was purchased through Triggers blem sumps at a great discount that still holds their one year warranty.) Additionally, there is the old school bio ball sump that came with the tank. this will be used as a refugium that is about 30 gallons.

Thanks for checking out the build thread. As I continue the build I will be sure to post more pics as I go.

One last note, I am looking for a skimmer that will suit this tank and sump. I am open to thoughts. Thanks

sump2.jpg

tank resize.jpg

sump resize.jpg

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little followup, I was at home depot looking to get some contractor packs of 1" 90 degree elbows and other assorted parts that are used when plumbing a tank. HD wanted 1.03 for each elbow. and they did not have contractor packs GRRR. so I left I was not going to spend that much money on PVC fittings. I returned home and began searching this is what I found.
upload_2017-9-3_15-16-28.jpeg

This place had 50 packs of 90 degree elbows for 20.00. You cant beat the prices. Between Bulk Reef Supply and Supply house I have all of my parts for less than $100.00

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I did not post many pictures from my build....but I did just add a sink to the sump room in the basement. Inexpensive project. Still need to run the copper for the supply but now I can discharge waste water from r/o unit and dump the skimmer cup and testing waste right next to the tank. The bucket was for testing....no leaks.
IMG_3605.JPG

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of comments on the above pictures. Yes that is me in the tank, putting the final coat of polish on the acrylic before filling it with water. In the above pictures we had just moved the tank into the house from the garage. Then my wife decided she wanted new floors down before filling the tank. I agreed and now there are 'water proof' laminate floors in the living room.

I am still working on the "skin" for the stand the front piece is primed and ready for paint. I am also waiting on new Hybrid lights that are coming in today!! that will be a huge improvement to the lighting situation. Hopefully I will have an explosion of coral growth, it has been somewhat lack luster so far.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back