• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Free bleached torch

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh... unfortunately I have not been able to get this torch to recover despite feeding and pristine water parameters. Not even sure if anyone wants this, but I’m willing to give someone else a try before it fully goes. Maybe someone has better luck saving it rather than letting it die here. Photos below on how it looks now and how it used to look. Local pickup 91201.

AE260A03-07FA-4764-9332-667077ED5D5E.jpeg

A2389AF4-2D45-406B-B656-3B5A21B3F129.jpeg

C239DB87-7174-4CEF-A89E-4E481490B93C.jpeg

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What'd you feed it and pristine water as in zero nitrates and phosphates?
If so, try bringing up the nitrates and phosphates.
I've had a torch go from brown to gold in couple weeks. I used to have 0 nitrates and phosphates and lost a lot of color but once i raised up the nutrients, most of them came back.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What'd you feed it and pristine water as in zero nitrates and phosphates?
If so, try bringing up the nitrates and phosphates.
I've had a torch go from brown to gold in couple weeks. I used to have 0 nitrates and phosphates and lost a lot of color but once i raised up the nutrients, most of them came back.
I dose water column with AB+ daily, and spot feed with roids.

Just tested parameters and got 35 ppt, 480 ca, 8 dkh, 1350 mg, 0.00 PO4, 5 NO3. Placement is about 50-75 PAR in low flow. Holy moly, didn't realize my PO4 had gone zero. Been adding AB+ and roids daily and surprised it's so low. Funny though, I have other torches that are doing excellent in these parameters.

Will bump up the PO4 to 0.1 and NO3 to 10 with dosing, but it's still up for grabs if someone wants to give it a try. I don't want to go much higher on these nutrient numbers cause I got SPS in the QT, so if someone has a more nutrient dense system, come on by.

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine higher than that for sps and get better color than when it was low. Only thing is hair algae but that's not really an issue. I just pluck some off the back glass every now and then. It doesn't really grow on my frags or rockwork.

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nutrients that’s why, raise it to .1 phosphates cap and 10 ppm for nitrates. Don’t chase the zero nutrients, torches consume nitrates and phosphates

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I have been running a UV sterilizer as well. I wonder if that’s killing off the free floating zooxanthellae so the coral also cannot repopulate from the water column.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah raise phos. I killed a nice indo gold colony 2 years ago this way

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back