Free coral identification!

hypnotoad555

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
45
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Recently purchased some coral and accidentally got this for free which is awesome but I don't know what it is? It's been in quarantine and I just put it in the dt. It feels hard so I'm not sure if it's acan or micromussi or.... what because I'm still new to corals. problem is can't research the best place for it. Some help with Id would be much appreciated! And I'm new here so first post!

20230426_195647.jpg 20230423_213030.jpg
 
I've heard the fancy name for this color as "Christmas Favia" but I could be wrong :)
 
Upvote 0
Watch that favia in the evenings and after lights go out to get a feel for its sweepers. I’ve got one that has sweepers about 2” long but I had another that had multiple heads with 6” long sweepers and it was getting dangerously close to other coral.
 
Upvote 0
Hello everyone! Recently purchased some coral and accidentally got this for free which is awesome but I don't know what it is? It's been in quarantine and I just put it in the dt. It feels hard so I'm not sure if it's acan or micromussi or.... what because I'm still new to corals. problem is can't research the best place for it. Some help with Id would be much appreciated! And I'm new here so first post!

20230426_195647.jpg 20230423_213030.jpg
Looks like favites coral
 
Upvote 0
Watch that favia in the evenings and after lights go out to get a feel for its sweepers. I’ve got one that has sweepers about 2” long but I had another that had multiple heads with 6” long sweepers and it was getting dangerously close to other coral.
Very good to know, much appreciated for the info!
 
Upvote 0
It's in the Favia/Favites/Goniastrea group that I can't seem to tell apart.

Apparently, Favia genus has now been reduced to only Atlantic stuff. So most (all?) Favia in our hobby are likely Favites.

Care would be the same for all of them.
 
Upvote 0
It's in the Favia/Favites/Goniastrea group that I can't seem to tell apart.

Apparently, Favia genus has now been reduced to only Atlantic stuff. So most (all?) Favia in our hobby are likely Favites.

Care would be the same for all of them.
Awesome thanks for the info and insight!
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new