free live rock

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recieved some free live rock from a fellow Aquarian. her tnk crashed from calurpa going sexual after a power outage. any ways, it had a ton of bristle worms on it. it sat out in the air for about 5 hours, it does have calurpa on it but im slowly removing it, it has been cycled for a week now it inly went to .25 ppm ammonia but it never registered nitrites natrates are at 10 ppm not with 0 ammonia and nitrites,, i havent been able to catch any worms. are they dead? some had red outlines to which i think were fireworms but not sure. i havent seen any since the first day i recieved them. is it safe to use now? thanks for any advice. also i used stability to help with the cycle if that helps or not.

20170517_183609.jpg

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those worms can take quite the beating. My guess would be there are still worms alive in the rock. I had some rock sit outside in the winter while moving one time and it was probably about 10 degrees out. When I went to set it back upain in a tank to cycle it guess what I seen. BRISTLE WORMS! Lol

OP
OP
Poseidon84

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those worms can take quite the beating. My guess would be there are still worms alive in the rock. I had some rock sit outside in the winter while moving one time and it was probably about 10 degrees out. When I went to set it back upain in a tank to cycle it guess what I seen. BRISTLE WORMS! Lol
ugh! so what should i do? toss them in and fight the good fight? my wife about barfed in the tub when she saw them im afraid shell freak out if she sees the bid 4" worm that i had saw previously. lol

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not really a bad critter to have. They feed on detritus and only really come out when it's dark. There in almost everyone's tanks. Nowe if it was a eunicid or Bobbitt worm I'd say throw the rock away lol. Those things freak me out

OP
OP
Poseidon84

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the person i got it from never said anything about loosing corals or livestock, and i didnt get a close enough look to properly identify it, so i guess ill toss her in and if i see its anything sinister ill cross that bridge then. but the one worm just loiked like a4 fire worm as bright red as it looked. should i get a coral banded shrimp to combat them possibly?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back