Free-o Neptune system

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends. I'm new to the hobby, so pls bear with me.. I was gifted this Neptune system. I have no idea what it is or it's exact age, just that it's a monitoring system and it is atleast 6 years old...maybe 8. It's basically a coiled up mess in a box, covered in pet hair and salt creep. The previous owner had it on their tank but didn't know how to use it. They just said that it needed to be calibrated and to Google it. Does anyone know if it's worth the effort to set up? What's the best way to get these probes cleaned up? Or should they be replaced? Or maybe what model it is? so I can start looking for a user manual and get it calibrated and up and running. Thanks again for all the knowledge ✌️

20220531_155634.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes are junk, with the exception of possibly the temp probe. They are in order from left to right:
PH, Temp, orp, and salinity.

The need to be kept wet in order for them to work. I wouldn't bother replacing the salinity, as they are known to be off. The PH probe can be bought at BRS. Temp probe as well, but maybe fine.

It is what the call now the classic apex. Great system, and being gifted makes it even better. It probably has to be factory reset.

You can download the user manual from neptune.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From top to bottom:
EB8
Apex brain
PM2 module
Display - Newer apex does not have this, and IMO it is a great feature to have if your internet goes down, and you can't access fusion. You can do anything with the display, including programming.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW....

Great tutorials from a resident "expert" @SuncrestReef .

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally just buy a new PH probe, and temp probe, and get rid of the pm2 module(it is for the salinity probe).
The salinity probe is not junk. That probe does not need to be stored wet and chances are its still good. I have on I bought second hand in 2015 that I think was 3 years old when I bought it and it still works great. I also have another that was purchased in 2017 that works great too.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe is not junk. That probe does not need to be stored wet and chances are its still good. I have on I bought second hand in 2015 that I think was 3 years old when I bought it and it still works great. I also have another that was purchased in 2017 that works great too.
Ok the temp and salinity probe, I was generalizing, sorry.

There are numerous threads about how flaky the salinity probe is(here and neptunes own website, and yes I know who you are, so you should know too), it was also my experince using one. So I choose not to use a flaky probe, Just IMO.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the temp and salinity probe, I was generalizing, sorry.

There are numerous threads about how flaky the salinity probe is(here and neptunes own website, and yes I know who you are, so you should know too), it was also my experince using one. So I choose not to use a flaky probe, Just IMO.
Calibration is definitely finicky for sure and it doesn't help that BRS made a video, which most people used as their first resource, that showed exactly how to calibrate it wrong.

To OP, if you want to use the salinity probe, make sure to float the calibration packet for 15 minutes in the sump before you calibrate it, that you have a temp probe connected into the PM2 not the main head unit, and that you have temperature compensation enabled at a value of 2.4 to start. These are super sensitive to temperature (1.3% error per degree F), so if they aren't calibrated and compensated with temperature in mind they become flaky and unreliable.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration is definitely finicky for sure and it doesn't help that BRS made a video, which most people used as their first resource, that showed exactly how to calibrate it wrong.

To OP, if you want to use the salinity probe, make sure to float the calibration packet for 15 minutes in the sump before you calibrate it, that you have a temp probe connected into the PM2 not the main head unit, and that you have temperature compensation enabled at a value of 2.4 to start. These are super sensitive to temperature (1.3% error per degree F), so if they aren't calibrated and compensated with temperature in mind they become flaky and unreliable.
I will defer to an expert.

I could never get mine to read properly, so dismissed it, and have never tried it again.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will defer to an expert.

I could never get mine to read properly, so dismissed it, and have never tried it again.
You could always try the "cheater method". Make sure your tank is as close to 35ppt as possible, let the probe soak in your sump for a week, when calibrating remove and pad dry with a paper towel for the dry step, when doing the wet step just dunk it in the tank and give it a good shake. That will normalize the reading to whatever your tank is at to 35ppt and at least gives you good info about trends.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try the "cheater method". Make sure your tank is as close to 35ppt as possible, let the probe soak in your sump for a week, when calibrating remove and pad dry with a paper towel for the dry step, when doing the wet step just dunk it in the tank and give it a good shake. That will normalize the reading to whatever your tank is at to 35ppt and at least gives you good info about trends.
+one for the cheater method. It’s always worked fine for me and you don’t need solution. I currently run what you got as a gift and automate absolutely everything. I couldn’t live without my old trusty apex gold. Pretty much the only thing you’ll never be able to do with this is add a trident. You would need the newer apex for that. Mines about ten years old now and it’s been pretty much flawless. The fusion app works great too. I would try it out with all the sensors to make sure it’s in order before I ordered parts for it just to make sure it works. For sure the ph probe is no good as it needs to stay wet. Everything else should be ok but the salinity probes can be a little fragile so if it got banged around it may be out of whack so run it for awhile and see what happens. Awesome deal though!

edit.. citric acid or vinegar to clean the probes
Second edit..no Wi-Fi so you need Ethernet to use fusion. You can program from the display but the app is much easier.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back