Free PAR meter? Photone App.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit went back into it and I wasn’t set to Lux. But also the calibration only shows me comparing it with a light chart or par meter?
After you select the LUX option, go back to the main screen and measure it under PAR option... hope that is what your asking about...
IMG_1559.PNG

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit went back into it and I wasn’t set to Lux. But also the calibration only shows me comparing it with a light chart or par meter?
Select par meter and go through the steps shown in the video to calibrate it with a bag or for underwater use.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to test it against my NICREW light in my nano, I have readings from a few months ago so going to set the same scenario and test with App and see how far apart are they using the Full Spectrum and B/W settings... Here is with a Apogee about 5 months ago. Fingers cross. I have nothing in this tank currently so I can test instead of my DT.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 11.52.24 AM.png

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, u need to do calibration with light u testing, or u can do it with table lamp like in video?

Wait....another one.... U turn off pumps, return and all and then test, or?

Vacuuming....yes, the best solution is always the simplest one....

Last edited:

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, u need to do calibration with light u testing, or u can do it with table lamp like in video?

Wait....another one.... U turn off pumps, return and all and then test, or?

Vacuuming....yes, the best solution is always the simplest one....
Any light, also leave your pumps on because realistic you will have them on all the time anyways.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok did my test, here is is is actually closer that I expected.

I did the same test just measured middle of tank PAR not sides, did during lunch. But I do have to tell you HAVE to Calibrate it if not your reading will off the chart.

I put my iPhone in a Ziplock and vacuum sealed it.

It was off very little see chart below. The only change I have done is change Power head with the same one.
These are NICREW 50W Lights

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.59.27 PM.png

Last edited:

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok did my test, here is is is actually closer that I expected.

I did the same test just measured middle of tank PAR not sides, did during lunch. But I do have to tell you HAVE to Calibrate it if not your reading will off the chart.

I put my iPhone in a Ziplock and vacuum sealed it.

It was off very little see chart below. The only change I have done is change Power head with the same one.
These are NICREW 50W Lights

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.59.27 PM.png
Did you multiply the conversion factor of 1.32 or where those the straight numbers from the app? I’m assuming you used the conversion

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you multiply the conversion factor of 1.32 or where those the straight numbers from the app? I’m assuming you used the conversion
Yes that has to be done... look at video above, that hole process needs to happen it you have an iPhone you need to use the filter .
Android does not use filter but Android is still in beta, and they do still have work to do according to the videos I have see, iPhone is extremely accurate to my surprise.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that has to be done... look at video above, that hole process needs to happen it you have an iPhone you need to use the filter .
Android does not use filter but Android is still in beta, and they do still have work to do according to the videos I have see, iPhone is extremely accurate to my surprise.
I'm using the android app, but unfortunately I don't have any previous PAR results taken with an actual PAR meter to compare any of my current results with...

Maybe someone with an android phone, using the android app will come along that has some previous PAR data they can compare the android app data to.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully but they a good video comparing iPhone and Android... is on there site .

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if u use android, then calibration is..... Needed? Not needed? Confused now.....

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if u use android, then calibration is..... Needed? Not needed? Confused now.....
Calibration is need for both IOS and Android regardless, what differs is using the filter ( White Copy Paper ) over front camera, iPhone only.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calibration is need for both IOS and Android regardless, what differs is using the filter ( White Copy Paper ) over front camera, iPhone only.

With an android, you only need to calibrate it if you are putting it in a bag for measuring underwater.

just your phone in air, no calibration needed.
in a bag, calibrate between no bag and bag.
under water, calibrated to bag use with underwater correction factor of 1.32 applied.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to try out the blue and white setting versus the full spectrum I initially used and it read 40 par more than full spectrum. Probably closer to correct at the water line.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to try out the blue and white setting versus the full spectrum I initially used and it read 40 par more than full spectrum. Probably closer to correct at the water line.
remember you need to calibrate if using it in the water, if notyou should be good just make sure you have Lux selected in the setting and not FC. above in the tread I posted a picture of that setting.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back