Free PAR meter? Photone App.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember you need to calibrate if using it in the water, if notyou should be good just make sure you have Lux selected in the setting and not FC. above in the tread I posted a picture of that setting.
Thanks, I did change it lo lux per your earlier post but the calibration still has me confused. I can’t open your video for some reason. When I go into calibration I’m settings it wants me to input the number from a par meter so that the app can reference I presume.

254A8BE3-97D7-46A3-BEC2-B7032D9E5A1D.png

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I did change it lo lux per your earlier post but the calibration still has me confused. I can’t open your video for some reason. When I go into calibration I’m settings it wants me to input the number from a par meter so that the app can reference I presume.

254A8BE3-97D7-46A3-BEC2-B7032D9E5A1D.png
You will be better trying to watch the video I was confused as well… lol is a .mov so if you can get QuickTime player your able to open it .

BeSaltyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my issue, i figured I would use a given light source because I don't have a par meter, but I don't know of a given light source to calibrate against.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be better trying to watch the video I was confused as well… lol is a .mov so if you can get QuickTime player your able to open it .
Ah I understand now, I actually read the instructions that you posted. Guess
I should have done that first. My thoughts were that the app needed a reference from an actual par meter in order to calibrate itself. I now see that you input the number from a measurement and then recreate that measurement with the bag and I put that number which will the. Allow the app to compensate for the bag. Take measurement underwater and multiply by 1.32. That about figure it out?!

ACF930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just used the app. It worked well, but I couldn’t confirm with a real par meter. Make sure to follow the calibration steps. I put my iPhone in a plastic fish bag and knotted it close (like I was shipping a coral), which prevented water from getting in. The biggest pain was that sometimes the water pressure would push the bag against my phone screen, causing the screen to change - and I’d have to pause and keep re-setting. I’m also running Orphek V4 with a wide spectrum (yellow, green, blue, UV and purple), but used the Blue White LED setup. The app was still worth it to get ballpark par readings IF the accuracy was indeed good idk.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of calibrating my phone outside of my waterproof case and then with case on as the differential like you would do when placing inside a bag. Does the calibration need to be done each time the app is used or will it hold its calibration as long as no variables have changed?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of calibrating my phone outside of my waterproof case and then with case on as the differential like you would do when placing inside a bag. Does the calibration need to be done each time the app is used or will it hold its calibration as long as no variables have changed?
No only once...

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested again, would be great if the actual vendor or someone has a Apogee and do comparison with B/W spectrum and see what they get side by side....

Heck someone has to own a Apogee...

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i tried.....

If i did calibration correctly, par readings are exactly as i expected, and turns out i set my lights spot on without any measuring....

Little background, tank is 130x62x62 (thats around 52x24x24), 500l, not that matter.
Lights are 2x popbloom 90 and 1x chinese blackbox

Lights are 25cm (around 10 inch) above water level. Black box is in center, rs90 are placed equaly to left and right quarter. There's glass brace underneath all of lights (one center, two on sides). Rs 090 are at 100% all channels, black box is 100% blue, 100% night blue, and white channel (with 4 red, 2 green, 4 uv, 6 warm white, rest is 14000k white) set at 21%.....

Sorry for bad picture, this was taken earlier, didnt have time to take fresh pics, but, this is very close to what par readings i get from what place....

You can see something that suprises me, coral on highest point, thus receive most of light are sarco.... dont mind 250+ par at all. Second champion is sinularia, with same amount of light at top of coral.....

Of course, assuming that calibration and readings are correct.

I will take new pics, and try to measure little bit precise tommorow, just to see what will difference be, if any.

Only questionable reading are 25par marked on picture, this is back side of rock, there are some plates with zoas, everything grows well, so i figure there is error in measuring.

Mostly i can lower rs90 to manufacturer recommended height of 8", just to see difference....

Sorry, cant upload picture.... not sure whats wrong, always getting "we ran at some problems" message

Last edited:

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i tried.....

If i did calibration correctly, par readings are exactly as i expected, and turns out i set my lights spot on without any measuring....

Little background, tank is 130x62x62 (thats around 52x24x24), 500l, not that matter.
Lights are 2x popbloom 90 and 1x chinese blackbox

Lights are 25cm (around 10 inch) above water level. Black box is in center, rs90 are placed equaly to left and right quarter. There's glass brace underneath all of lights (one center, two on sides). Rs 090 are at 100% all channels, black box is 100% blue, 100% night blue, and white channel (with 4 red, 2 green, 4 uv, 6 warm white, rest is 14000k white) set at 21%.....

Sorry for bad picture, this was taken earlier, didnt have time to take fresh pics, but, this is very close to what par readings i get from what place....

You can see something that suprises me, coral on highest point, thus receive most of light are sarco.... dont mind 250+ par at all. Second champion is sinularia, with same amount of light at top of coral.....

Of course, assuming that calibration and readings are correct.

I will take new pics, and try to measure little bit precise tommorow, just to see what will difference be, if any.

Only questionable reading are 25par marked on picture, this is back side of rock, there are some plates with zoas, everything grows well, so i figure there is error in measuring.

Mostly i can lower rs90 to manufacturer recommended height of 8", just to see difference....

Sorry, cant upload picture.... not sure whats wrong, always getting "we ran at some problems" message
That is awesome, great information, how do you like those lights ? and you really have them turned up high... I turned up my Vipraspectrs to 60 and bleached all my corals, and lost a bunch... lol... Do you hvae a Apogee par meter or any other one to test against the app or tyou had done it before and testing against previous settings ?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly,.dont have any real par meter, or chance to get one.

Popbloom are ok lights, weaker than black box, two or them are not adequate for this tank size, but, manufacturer says 3 units, so that was on me. Also.par readings are what manufacturer claims, if u can judge by this measuring.

Newer lost coral due to light issue, i like strong light, the more the merrier ;)

Again, still cant upload pic, but in words:

80-125 sandbed, 150-250 middle and top third.....

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried the app yesterday, but the readings jump around so much that I cant really determine what its reading. I rented a par meter a few months ago to map my tank and the readings would bounce +-50 par when I would hold it in one place due to water movement. This app is bouncing +-300 par so I cant get a good reading. Any tips to get it to settle down?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys got the App Developer to run some test specific to the Reef Light and compare it t the Apogee...

This morning he sent me information and below is his email... I'm so glad they were able to test and make adjustments we no longer need to do the immersion calculation according to his test. B/W Spectrum is what will be needed and water proof your phone.

See below links and conversation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ralph,

I hope this email finds you well.

I just wanted to let you know that we finished our testing and have some new and important insights. Using a proper, non-reflective test setup, we were able to identify that no IECF correction is needed. This makes it a lot easier for any user that wants to submerge our app :)

We’ve summarized our test in here: https://growlightmeter.com/underwater-par-measurements-for-reef-aquariums/
All the info on how to prepare the phone and app has been moved here: https://growlightmeter.com/guides/how-to-measure-underwater/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried the app yesterday, but the readings jump around so much that I cant really determine what its reading. I rented a par meter a few months ago to map my tank and the readings would bounce +-50 par when I would hold it in one place due to water movement. This app is bouncing +-300 par so I cant get a good reading. Any tips to get it to settle down?
depending on you phone angle to the light source you will see it jump around remember yu are using a phone cameras and depending how steady it is is your result.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, works great....

Now i read that calibration is not needed, so i will tomorow run another measurement, now its too late, lights are dim....

Sadly, still cant upload pic from previous measuring, so.....

One thing i noticed, phone gets very hot during app use, not sure why, and sometimes get inresponsive, so u need to force it to shut down and restart, but this can be various reason.....

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, works great....

Now i read that calibration is not needed, so i will tomorow run another measurement, now its too late, lights are dim....

Sadly, still cant upload pic from previous measuring, so.....

One thing i noticed, phone gets very hot during app use, not sure why, and sometimes get inresponsive, so u need to force it to shut down and restart, but this can be various reason.....
Plastic is a pretty good thermal insulator and you have no airflow in the bag so i guess it makes sense that the phone would heat up.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little hesitant to do this as salt water will completely ruin a phone even if it’s “water resistant” as the new iPhones say they are.

Ziploc bags worked for other people? Slightest air pressure in the bag will open up the zip if there’s any gaps I’d imagine.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little hesitant to do this as salt water will completely ruin a phone even if it’s “water resistant” as the new iPhones say they are.

Ziploc bags worked for other people? Slightest air pressure in the bag will open up the zip if there’s any gaps I’d imagine.
There are bags that are specifically made for putting your phone when going swimming or doing other watersports. I have used these when snorkling before

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back