Freeze dried mysis in auto feeder

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rp8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2020
Messages
1,569
Reaction score
2,331
Location
Cajun country
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used freeze dried mysis in a feeder? I know they float but do sink once wet. Wondering about y’all’s outcomes if tried. Maybe good if traveling
 
Depends on your feeder setup.

In a regular autofeeder - something like the Eheim one that's popular - I wouldn't. Freeze-dried mysis takes some time to rehydrate and sink, and probably 90-95% of whatever you feed is just going to go down the overflow.

If you have your autofeeder set up with a feeding tube (like what the Avast Plank uses) then it's fine. The tube confines the mysis until it's absorbed enough water to sink, so much more of it will go into feeding your tank rather than your overflow.
 
I use it with a mix of pellets in my hydros feeder. Over a year now with no issues. I do slightly crush it up more as some of the pieces are 1” long sometimes.
 
I have some mixed in with various pellets that drops into a feeder ring without issue.
 
Depends on your feeder setup.

In a regular autofeeder - something like the Eheim one that's popular - I wouldn't. Freeze-dried mysis takes some time to rehydrate and sink, and probably 90-95% of whatever you feed is just going to go down the overflow.

If you have your autofeeder set up with a feeding tube (like what the Avast Plank uses) then it's fine. The tube confines the mysis until it's absorbed enough water to sink, so much more of it will go into feeding your tank rather than your overflow.
Yea that sounds like a good idea thanks
 
Depends on your feeder setup.

In a regular autofeeder - something like the Eheim one that's popular - I wouldn't. Freeze-dried mysis takes some time to rehydrate and sink, and probably 90-95% of whatever you feed is just going to go down the overflow.

If you have your autofeeder set up with a feeding tube (like what the Avast Plank uses) then it's fine. The tube confines the mysis until it's absorbed enough water to sink, so much more of it will go into feeding your tank rather than your overflow.
This is exactly what happens when I hade freeze dried foods (including mysis) in my plank auto feeder - make my own freeze dried recipe for it
 
As mentioned avast works perfectly. Even better is having it drop into return pump then into tank. Can even drop a cube of frozen in and let it slowly drop out.
IMG_7021.jpeg
IMG_7020.jpeg
 
Simple and effective, love it
As mentioned avast works perfectly. Even better is having it drop into return pump then into tank. Can even drop a cube of frozen in and let it slowly drop out.
IMG_7021.jpeg
IMG_7020.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new