Purple Tang not interested in algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HTFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

HTFish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
65
Reaction score
28
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone. I have a Purple Tang that's been in my aquarium for 2 years that is not interested in eating algae. I've tried strips of nori as well as dried red algae. It eats mysis and clams! It looks and acts completely fine, but I wonder if it might eventually suffer from some sort of health problem from not eating his veggies.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
 
I've had 3 Tangs in my tank for a month or so far none of them are eating any of the algae I've put in the tank for them. Nori, Ogo, Dulse. Frozen herbivore cubes. Nothing. I'm concerned for the same reason you are! (I've got a Bristletooth, Hippo, and Yellow Tangs.)
 
My Purple is not a big grazer, however if I cut back feeding he grazes more. If all your fish are heathy and fat, just skip a feeding or don't feed for a day then see what happens. Healthy fish can go a long time without food.
 
Soak you nori till it falls apart and blend it with whatever your feeding to get him acclimated to it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new