Freight Cost Planet Aquarium

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question; I am in NJ and am considering a Planet Aquariums build 120 - 150G. Curious to see what freight costs you all have typically experienced with these tanks as I am comparing the price on Planet's website vs. an LFS quote I received. (This is strictly freight; there is a separate line item for installation) Thanks appreciate you sharing your experience.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I understand the concern. You're going to pay freight one way or the other. The LFS was charged freight and built that into the price they are charging you.

The bottom line is the final cost on each quote.

Also check with the freight company. They typically deliver to the door or sometimes only to the driveway. Then it's up to you to get it in the house... unless you pay them additional charges for that service.

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I understand the concern. You're going to pay freight one way or the other. The LFS was charged freight and built that into the price they are charging you.

The bottom line is the final cost on each quote.

Also check with the freight company. They typically deliver to the door or sometimes only to the driveway. Then it's up to you to get it in the house... unless you pay them additional charges for that service.
Thanks for the reply; I can see online what the tank costs and I am comparing to my estimate. I am assuming the delta is the freight cost. Just trying to figure out what everyone has experienced in regards to freight charges. This is my first large fishtank, so wanted some reference. For example Is $600 excessive or inline?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Planet, but my 4 ft/130g tank from Tennessee to Florida was a little over $500. Residential delivery. Almost a third of the cost of the tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply; I can see online what the tank costs and I am comparing to my estimate. I am assuming the delta is the freight cost. Just trying to figure out what everyone has experienced in regards to freight charges. This is my first large fishtank, so wanted some reference. For example Is $600 excessive or inline?
It has to be delivered by freight truck, which charges by the dimensions of the crate it is shipped in. It's going to be expensive.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages quoted me $330 for a 180 and stand from TN to PA. But that was me picking it up at the freight station about an hour away.

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks all; I appreciate it, this has been very helpful!

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When LFS are placing orders for multiple tanks it should be very low cost. I would not pay more than $100-$300 for a tank of your size.
I didn't think of that; it would make sense just to wait for multiple orders to be placed if that is the case. Thank You for mentioning that; I will discuss w/ my LFS if that is possible.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a related question...
When a tank is shipped to a freight location where you go and pick it up.
Do they load it into your truck?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think of that; it would make sense just to wait for multiple orders to be placed if that is the case. Thank You for mentioning that; I will discuss w/ my LFS if that is possible.
No problem - got this info from Brian, owner of Reefco. Not sure where in NJ you are but they are frequently ordering from Planet for their service business.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be advised by whomever shipped it. In the case I related, they said help would be there to assist loading into my truck.

nhendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank will be 5-7 weeks out but I was told yes they do you can also rent equipment lifts that can lift 700 lbs 7+ ft from some place’s

nhendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No glass cages the freight location has nothing to do with the tank makers they should give the address and you can look that location up and call them

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not order mine; LFS said they can't fit me in. Will be exploring other options. Maybe Saltwater Aquarium.com and do it myself.
Interesting. LFS said Planet can’t fit you in? Or your LFS won’t place the order.

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. LFS said Planet can’t fit you in? Or your LFS won’t place the order.
I do not have transparency if it was on the LFS side or Planet's side, so don't want to say either way because it would be assumption on my part without knowing the reasoning behind the scenes. So I did stumble across Saltwater Aquarium.com setup I was looking at and it seems like a pretty fair deal; only $250 for freight comparing Planet's site. Would just need to do the build myself, which may be fun.... so this could be an option for me.

Last edited:

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 115 gallon Acyrlic tank and stand coming from Midwest Custom Aquarium in MN via Fedex economy freight and it cost a bit over $400.00. Weight was about 400lbs. Tank is 60" long.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back