Frequency of Adjusting Bean Animal Overflow

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you have a sump with drain section as i do, the drain pipe is below water level anyway.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a sump with drain section as i do, the drain pipe is below water level anyway.
Agreed, but thats not the concern. The concern is the level fluctuating, as we know these are powered by gravity...you'd be surprised the difference a little more back pressure has on draining characteristics

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not terminate the drain directly into a filter sock...if you can avoid it (I know sump design has lots to do with this), the drain pipe level should be consistent. If it changes, it can change the drain characteristics which can cause issues. Imo the best design sumps have a section that water drains into, then overflowing into a filter sock section....

Thanks for that bit of info, much appreciated. Luckily for me the 'good' example is a picture of my Sapphire 26 sump.

I have noticed that if I don't change the sock in a timely manner the water will rise a little in that area. Luckily it's designed to overflow back into the sump. I haven't tracked it well enough to say definitively but I do think that can mess with the water level in the overflow a little. I was trying to delay changing the socks to counter low nutrients but I found it is easier to change them before they clog.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that bit of info, much appreciated. Luckily for me the 'good' example is a picture of my Sapphire 26 sump.

I have noticed that if I don't change the sock in a timely manner the water will rise a little in that area. Luckily it's designed to overflow back into the sump. I haven't tracked it well enough to say definitively but I do think that can mess with the water level in the overflow a little. I was trying to delay changing the socks to counter low nutrients but I found it is easier to change them before they clog.
It shouldn't because the back pressure isnt changing.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy - follow the path the water takes and what could cause it to inhibit. Sump to display. Display to sump. Pumps, socks, water level, filter media, etc. If nothing has changed hardware wise then one has to do a bit of sleuthing.
Socks are a problem if you don’t change them very frequently. I went to a clarisea roller submerged 3 inches. Zero fluctuation for the bean. I have the exact same overflow. Coast to coast IM 170. Love it

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have check valves on the return? I noticed a significant improvement on consistency of the bean siphon after 6 or 7 months. Not sure if algae built up or biofilm or some other explanation. I can turn mines off and start it back up no problem. Always had trouble with this is the beginning. Valves move easier now so able to get better adjustments

Also , my primary drain splits in 2 at the sump inputs. My secondary drain is submerged in sump in first chamber. And emergency waterfalls so I can hear it.

I noticed more consistency and quickness to dial in when I closed the secondary drain almost all the way. Amazing to think back at how much I struggled with the siphon back in the day thanks God that stopped

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have check valves on the return? I noticed a significant improvement on consistency of the bean siphon after 6 or 7 months. Not sure if algae built up or biofilm or some other explanation. I can turn mines off and start it back up no problem. Always had trouble with this is the beginning. Valves move easier now so able to get better adjustments

Also , my primary drain splits in 2 at the sump inputs. My secondary drain is submerged in sump in first chamber. And emergency waterfalls so I can hear it.

I noticed more consistency and quickness to dial in when I closed the secondary drain almost all the way. Amazing to think back at how much I struggled with the siphon back in the day thanks God that stopped
1 more thing, removing the filter socks in the sump, primary drain emptied to them helped

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back