Fresh BBS dieing quick

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been hatching fresh BBS for my clown goby that wasn't eating but all my other fish love it as well and some of the fry I have can eat it with their small mouths but anyways. After making a big batch of bbs yday I mean I had hundreds of them my thing was glowing orange there were so many. But after they are done hatching I put them in a big tubeware to hold while I make a new batch. Well after coming home from work today almost all of those fresh BBS are dead at the bottom of tubeware. I know they need to be airrated and kept certain temp all day but I don't have a spare tank to culture them in and let them grow as of right now. Does anyone have suggestions on ways I can keep them alive longer so I'm not making new batches everyday. Thanks

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After they hatch, strain them and place in NSW and not over dense, used air pump to keep the water circulating . I do two batches a day to feed my seahorse fry and then enrich for a day or two before feeding.

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing is are you sure they are dead. They will settle on bottom in large group when air is removed from container. It’s best to have clear container. after 24 hours they will start to form a column up the side of the container like little tornadoes. And yes it best to enrich them because when they loose the yolk sack and then they need a to feed.

I also give my bbs a 5 minute peroxide bath before feeding. 50 % peroxide and 50 % fresh saltwater

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my set up, I do a lot because I’m raising 250 to 300 fry and different stages.
B9231E01-E2B3-459C-9986-9F08565485EE.jpeg
54AB9567-F899-4124-9F3F-4E34E0580D50.jpeg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just light aeration and reasonably clean salt water should keep them alive and usable for a couple of days after hatch, though their nutritional value goes down as they grow up (especially so when not being fed). Especially at high densities, they need a fair amount of air, so sealing a container without aeration is a recipe to kill them in a few hours.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they seem dead they build up at the bottom of the tubeware. And don't move to much lol as the other ones do

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back