Freshwater conversion

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this 30 gallon cube it’s setup for freshwater. I know it’s reallh dirty but my fish is super aggressive and doesn’t really like me in his tank. I’m not sure if I can drill it or not but I would like to make a DIY 10 gallon sump if anyone has any links or ideas for that. I need a light but I have a skimmer. I’m going to build a new stand other than that is there anything that I might be missing?

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this 30 gallon cube it’s setup for freshwater. I know it’s reallh dirty but my fish is super aggressive and doesn’t really like me in his tank. I’m not sure if I can drill it or not but I would like to make a DIY 10 gallon sump if anyone has any links or ideas for that. I need a light but I have a skimmer. I’m going to build a new stand other than that is there anything that I might be missing?

What are your plans for the new tank (e.g., fish only, corals, etc.)?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step would be finding a new home for your fish. Then find out if the tank can be drilled or not. If its tempered glass you dont want to drill it. You can find this out one of two ways. 1. Contact the tank manufacturer and ask them. 2. Perform the sunglasses test. Take a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop and check the glass. There are videos on YouTube of how to do this. You'll also want some sort of powerhead for flow in the tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As crabs said: some sort of overflow is needed.
My ipinion is the fish is aggressive because it has no where to hide and feel safe.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As crabs said: some sort of overflow is needed.
My ipinion is the fish is aggressive because it has no where to hide and feel safe.
He moves everything nd I’d he can’t move it he just hurts himself on it. I already got plans to rehome him and I plan on during corals for now and evtually just anemone and clowns

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are going to have a sump then you will need a pump to return the water back up to the display tank (DT). It seems like the next steps would be to:

1) re-home the fish
2) clean/sterilize the tank
3) check the glass to see if it is tempered
4) if not, get glass drill bit and drill tank (slowly!)
5) build sump
6) plumbing from tank to sump and from sump to tank (including return pump)
7) add lights and skimmer
8) aquascape (such as live rock, live sand, etc.)
9) cycle tank (slowly - use water testing equipment)
10) start adding livestock

Make sure that you practice safety at all times and especially when drilling or cutting glass - gloves and eye protection really is important. Take your time, do your research, ask questions, and post pictures along the way. Patience is key.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to have a sump then you will need a pump to return the water back up to the display tank (DT). It seems like the next steps would be to:

1) re-home the fish
5) build sump

Make sure that you practice safety at all times and especially when drilling or cutting glass - gloves and eye protection really is important. Take your time, do your research, ask questions, and post pictures along the way. Patience is key.
I won’t be drilling it it’s tempered.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I won’t be drilling it it’s tempered.

Good to know - I am glad you checked! Although many reefers have moved away from hang-on overflows and have moved to drilled tanks, there are still several hang-on overflow options for you.

Here is a review of various overflow boxes that you may find helpful. I currently have an older version of the CPR Aquatics overflow on one of my larger tanks. Good luck!

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Good to know - I am glad you checked! Although many reefers have moved away from hang-on overflows and have moved to drilled tanks, there are still several hang-on overflow options for you.

Here is a review of various overflow boxes that you may find helpful. I currently have an older version of the CPR Aquatics overflow on one of my larger tanks. Good luck!
thank you appreciate the info. I’ll keep updating on here.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand built rock ordered. I’m gonna use a HOB fluval 110 filter and a sea clone 150 skimmer. I have a heater that’s more than big enough two power heads and My salt and substrate. Anything that I’m missing?

image.jpg

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go with the hob overflow boxes my current nano uses one, CPR aquatics.

And also the fish you are rehoming is that by chance a jaguar cichlid?

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand built rock ordered. I’m gonna use a HOB fluval 110 filter and a sea clone 150 skimmer. I have a heater that’s more than big enough two power heads and My salt and substrate. Anything that I’m missing?

image.jpg
missing a good light if you plan on keeping coral could get a cheap ebay black box would probably cover that tank nice

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also recommend a quality test kit like the Red Sea Marine Care Kit or one from Salifert. Additionally, you will want to have a source of RO water (either from your LFS or make your own with a RODI filter) to mix with the salt and for top-offs.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go with the hob overflow boxes my current nano uses one, CPR aquatics.

And also the fish you are rehoming is that by chance a jaguar cichlid?
It is a Jaguar cichlid. Super aggressive one of the reasons I’m switching that and I need to get him a bigger tank.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo I got over eager and I setup my tank before I got my rock because I had everything else. Did I f up or no?

1) re-home the fish
5) build sump

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yo I got over eager and I setup my tank before I got my rock because I had everything else. Did I f up or no?

I'm not sure exactly what "setup my tank" means, but if you haven't added fish or coral yet then there is no problem at all. If you did add fish then I would ask if your tank was fully cycled. There is always a way forward.

OP
OP
E

Eric Meza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly what "setup my tank" means, but if you haven't added fish or coral yet then there is no problem at all. If you did add fish then I would ask if your tank was fully cycled. There is always a way forward.
I apologize for the vagueness I was just kinda worried. By setup I mean I got my filtration, flow, heater, gravel and water.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I apologize for the vagueness I was just kinda worried. By setup I mean I got my filtration, flow, heater, gravel and water.

Good! So things are starting to come together - now it is time to take a look at your plan for cycling your aquarium. I encourage you to read the article: "Cycling an Aquarium".

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back