Freshwater CUC?

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve met a few reefers here with some planted tanks. I have a 10g small planted tank. I’ve noticed that algae is growing quickly on my glass. Any suggestions?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chinese Algae Eater: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1564/?pcatid=1564

Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus Oblongus) is even better, but more difficult to find.

But you'll need to supplement it's diet (with algae wafers) once it has cleaned up the tank, and also rehome once the fish gets too big.

IME; snails just don't cut it.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny Plecostomus would be even more effective, but will outgrow a 10 gallon in no time. IME; Chinese Algae Eaters grow more slowly.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just stick to snails in my opinion, but my planted has a betta that will kill anything else

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though harder to keep, Otocinclus are great algae eaters and you could have a small herd even in a small tank.
They stay small and go everywhere

Or just get a good glass cleaner. I like my Tunze glass care magnetic one

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liquid carbon substitute Excel has been found to be very effective on controlling algae. And it's good for your plants.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle nose pleco's are great, but will eventually outgrow your tank. Rubber nose pleco's are much more sensitive to higher nitrates in my opinion, but don't get as big. If you're not injecting CO2, Excel helps with algae growth (especially black beard algae) and is beneficial to the growth of the plants. I use it in all of my low tech planted tanks. I would second the suggestion of introducing 2 or 3 nerite snails. They can't reproduce in fresh water, and do a pretty good job cleaning things up. The only down side is that they WILL lay eggs that tend to solidify over time, and are noticable in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back