Freshwater Dip for Tomini Tang - Ghost Flatworms

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have a situation where my QT tank has a Tomini Tang in it and there are ghost flatworms in the tank that I cannot kill. they have made it through 30 days copper and also 3 PRAZI PRO treatments. I would like to do a freshwater dip prior to moving him to my display tank. I have never done a freshwater dip. What is the process that I should use for my Tomini, and also, is it risky to do?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you confusing ghost flatworms with something that will harm your tang? I've never heard of ghost flatworms doing something like that.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you confusing ghost flatworms with something that will harm your tang? I've never heard of ghost flatworms doing something like that.
Somehow they appeared in my QT tank. I have to assume they came from the Tang as my QT is standalone and no sharing of equipment happens. This was an odd situation. Anyway, I would like to do anything possible to avoid moving the white ghost flatoworms to the DT. I can only assume they got into my QT from the fish. Someone recommended a FW dip prior to moving him as last step to minimize the risk.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an invert, so copper is likely to be toxic at therapeutic doses commonly given to fish. I would think that a freshwater dip would take care of any flatworms (or more likely, flukes) that managed to survive on your tang; just make sure that alkalinity and temperature match that of the QT water.

Sixline wrasses are also known to eat these flatworms. I'm not sure that you'd want to put one in QT permanently, though.

I had quite a few ghost flatworms in my Evo 13.5 shortly after I started the build last December. Most have them have disappeared over the past few months, though. I've read that this is often the case with new builds.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please provide a couple of pics under white light to confirm these are flatworms and not flukes or turbellaria worms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back