Freshwater Ich Question

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to do a little research first but I was thinking of putting molies into a frag tank for algae control but the store that sells them has had a bad history of ich. Would it make a difference if it was freshwater ich instead of marine ich or would it still take hold in my tank?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are completely unrelated parasites :)
I wouldn't think any freshwater disease you would usually be concerned with would survive in a marine tank.
I added a Molly to my 120 and he's done a great job keeping algae in check. Great choice of fish for a frag tank!

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think any freshwater disease you would usually be concerned with would survive in a marine tank.
I added a Molly to my 120 and he's done a great job keeping algae in check. Great choice of fish for a frag tank!
Good to know! Yea I was told in a different thread that I should use them, now just doing a little research.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^This. Any FW parasites they were carrying would go into osmotic shock and die-off during the acclimation process. Once fully acclimated to SW, mollies would be susceptible to the same diseases as any other SW fish. They do have one advantage, however. If a molly got SW ich (for example), converting him back to full FW would eradicate it. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This. Any FW parasites they were carrying would go into osmotic shock and die-off during the acclimation process. Once fully acclimated to SW, mollies would be susceptible to the same diseases as any other SW fish. They do have one advantage however. If a molly got SW ich (for example), converting them back to full FW would eradicate it. ;)
Didn't even think of that! Great idea

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't even think of that! Great idea

You would still need to go fallow for 72 days in the affected tank, before converting the mollies back over. Otherwise, they would just keep getting reinfected with SW ich shortly after acclimation was complete.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back