Freshwater .....off topic

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So we gave my son a 10 gallon tank for his birthday. Setup as freshwater with a cheap hob filter. We added two dwarf frogs a pair of guppies and some neons. Also a corydora catfish. For the life of me, I cannot keep these freshwater fish alive. The frogs are doing good but we have been thru like 6 guppies! I am using rodi as top off and water changes (yes I change the fresh but not the salt). Water test good but nitrates are at 60. I just don't get it. Its been setup since mid June.

I can keep a $250 tang alive but not a $3 guppy! Ugh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they possibly having ich? It's harder to see on guppies. Nitrates are high, but it will keep a fish from spawning before it'll kill them. Enough aeration?

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a heater in it... If not, the day to night temp swings will stress the fish majorly... I've had the same issues with guppies, but the neons are doing get in our 10g...SMALL TANKS are a pain...

coralkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll do a lot better in tap. Put it in a bucket, drop in some Prime, aerate it for 24 hrs and you should be good to go.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never aerated my freshwater. Just dechlor and go. The sitting 24 hrs thing was how we used to dechlor it without chemicals though. I just don't trust that anymore.
Watch ph swings, of course, just like with salt.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? Tap water better? Um..... OK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's weird but true. I'm not saying they need all the stuff thats in the tap water, but they need some of it. There are minerals and trace elements in it that they need.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea is that for salt water, when you use RO water you add the beneficial minerals in your salt mix. When you use RO water for freshwater it's kinda "sterile"?

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.. did a 60% water change this evening on it. lets see how it goes.... thanks for all the information.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea ro/di has no trace elements. ive had plenty of guppies also and they die easier than most fish also. i lost a lot when i was first getting into aquariums. guppies was the first fish i had

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put feeder guppies in my frog tank, and the frog only eats 3 quarters of them, and then saves the rest.(rainy day) I do a water change every 6-8 weeks, I can't kill the guppies, but the frog can *** them up when she wants to.

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use freshwater supplements too...that way you can avoid all the nasty phosphates and other TDS in tap water that water conditioner for Chlorine and chloramines miss... I've used tap water here for freshwater fish, and have had terrible results. The RO/DI works great, HOWEVER, some fish do seem to struggle with such PURE water, guppies being one of them...and scaleless fish...

I plan to use a supplement in the new 40g community tank I setup for the wife/kids...

Kent Marine Liquid RO Right

There are many others on the market too...

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some about this stuff long ago but used to be that freshwater buffers were to expensive to use over dechlorinated tap. But I guess all depends on how much of that kent stuf you have to use per gallon. I've also heard of some people who keep african cichlids usiing salt mixes in small ammounts with ro/di water to give all the trace elements and salts that african cichlids are used to. But I haven't really read much about that. I just use tap and fish seem fine lol.

Also have u tried just ro water not di? Or was you using di water? Not sure but ro water might be ok to use since its drinkable I would think it has enough elements and proper ph and all that. Might wanna reaearch that as it would b cheaper to do that then add supplements.

Last edited:

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use RO/DI for African cichlids you have to supplement with salt(like rock salt), baking soda and epsom salts. Otherwise they won't spawn and are more susceptible to bloat and kidney failure. The magnesium keeps them eliminating ok.
You have a point about the RO instead of RO/DI. Most freshwater folks do eliminate the DI part. With the exception of discus keepers I guess.

Last edited:

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And even then, you still are best to add salt for malawi and vics, need it to spawn madagascars, and it's an absolute must to have all 3 even with tap water for tangs like frontosas to get them to spawn and stay healthy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back