Freshwater planted style reef?

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone getting back into reefs after a decade of keeping high tech planted I’m struck by how differently the design, layout and inhabitant selection often seems. I don’t know if it’s that’s corals are far harder to keep than plants, or if it’s just not possible to shape a reef the way you can shape a planted tank, but it’s quite striking.

The best planted tanks, certainly show competition worthy ones, generally focus on using the plants to create an overall image and feeling. Only a handful of plant species may be used, with repeating combinations, and great care is placed on trimming and replanting to follow layout ideas and angles/lines.

Reef tanks, even the best ones, seem to be much more focused on keeping a wide range of corals and color morphs, with duplicate specimens rare, and corals only moderately controlled in their growth and form.

How possible do you think it would be to try to create a reef tank that mimics the style and technique of a planted tank?

For example, instead of introducing 4 or 5 Zoa varieties on a large rock and then bemoaning one outcompeting the others, you would physically trim/prune the more aggressive Zoa and maybe introduce additional frags of the slower growing varieties to keep a balanced look.

Instead of collecting dozens of different SPS, maybe 2 or 3 varieties with complementary colors and form could be placed throughout the tank and fragged to maintain their shape or a sloping composition.

The idea fascinates me but I’m wondering if it would be like sledding uphill.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As someone getting back into reefs after a decade of keeping high tech planted I’m struck by how differently the design, layout and inhabitant selection often seems. I don’t know if it’s that’s corals are far harder to keep than plants, or if it’s just not possible to shape a reef the way you can shape a planted tank, but it’s quite striking.

The best planted tanks, certainly show competition worthy ones, generally focus on using the plants to create an overall image and feeling. Only a handful of plant species may be used, with repeating combinations, and great care is placed on trimming and replanting to follow layout ideas and angles/lines.

Reef tanks, even the best ones, seem to be much more focused on keeping a wide range of corals and color morphs, with duplicate specimens rare, and corals only moderately controlled in their growth and form.

How possible do you think it would be to try to create a reef tank that mimics the style and technique of a planted tank?

For example, instead of introducing 4 or 5 Zoa varieties on a large rock and then bemoaning one outcompeting the others, you would physically trim/prune the more aggressive Zoa and maybe introduce additional frags of the slower growing varieties to keep a balanced look.

Instead of collecting dozens of different SPS, maybe 2 or 3 varieties with complementary colors and form could be placed throughout the tank and fragged to maintain their shape or a sloping composition.

You will need proper flow and nutrient balance and content if iron but do-able

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure there are a few members here that have macro algae "planted" tanks. Definitely doable...makes for a very cool seahorse or pipefish environment.

Tigah-Boy-Macroalgae-Tank-1.jpg

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is doable, and i think much more interesting than in freshwater, because you can have different structures, and for a pop, you can use a coral.
i started with macroalgaes for nutrient export, well it escalated and is now macro dominated.
Sadly it is hard to get different kinds of macros here in Germany, not very popular here.
Since i am running Full spectrum growlights only, i am going to add some gorgonia NPS and PS, and maybe try some SPS, when my nutrient level gets more stable.
In my opinion, algaes are harder to keep, it takes a while for a coral to die in nutrient imbalance, macros, caulerpa for example, dies in hours and then the complete plant.

For sticking macros near together, not everyone works got. You should put algaes together with the same needs and nutrient uptake, otherwise there is outcompeting, so you are problably ending with reds together and only greens together. Something like a DUTCH STYLE probably not doable in long term.

For nutrients, and the fact that there is a die off when in imbalance, you have to keep an eye on them frequently.
i have 330gal in total and the macros in the tank, turn 0.15mg po4 to 0 in a few days, same for iron and trace elements, i am dosing alot. No3 is more than 20mg, and is probably not reducing because i am always on 0 phosphate.
Since it is a predator only tank, bamboo shark, colombian sharks, pufferfish and moray, there is a heavy bioload, still need to dose.
Going to build also a refugium in the sump, to buffer my PH at night and have a place for frags.

Attachments

• 20220816_194120.jpg
    20220816_194120.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220816_194213.jpg
    20220816_194213.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 76

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, algaes are harder to keep, it takes a while for a coral to die in nutrient imbalance, macros, caulerpa for example, dies in hours and then the complete plant.
This is really interesting. I am starting a new build with a 150g display for mixed reef, a large external sump and a separate 36” display refugium plumbed as well to common sump. Very interested in the idea of a planted style display refugium but difficult to find a lot of information on the challenges likely to face when mixing needs for both goals of the two tanks. Following for ideas and info.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results in freshwater aquascaping benefit greatly from a broad selection of hard scape materials and fast growth, easily shaped plants.

Not to say it can’t be done with corals though, I’ve often thought about the possibility of Iwagumi style scapes using GSP. Sinularia and similar growth pattern soft corals also seem suited to the planted aesthetic.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might wanna check out this thread.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back