Why does Reef aquascaping lag behind compared to Planted?

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have a method to stack the rockwork? Did you use any artistic 'rules' such as the golden ratio, negative space, rule of thirds, etc.? Do you have a look in mind like you did with your famous aquascape - like a canyon?

With regards to coral; is it important to select coral colors that compliment each other or the more colors the better? What about shape; is it wise to choose coral shapes that compliment each other? Montipora with acropora, etc.?

I apologize for all the questions, I would just like to learn since aquascaping with coral is MUCH harder than it is with plants.
First off….a pleasing aquascape is in the eye of the beholder. There really should be no rules to follow except whether or not that you like it. Aquascape for yourself….not others or instagram.

That said…..yes….rule of thirds, golden ratios and color coordination do help in creating a pleasing composition. There’s a reason why your phone camera has a grid. It’s to help in composing a photo that is pleasing to the human eye according to the rule of thirds. Leaving about half of the display open….also improves the overall appearance to the human eye. Of course that takes great restraint when you want to add more and more. As the old proverb goes….less is more in the end.

Color coordination can also help your corals to show their best colors. Put a red coral next to an orange coral….and both look less impressive. Place a blue coral next to an orange coral and both pop. There is a reason why I always have a clean, coralline free back panel….the black panel compliments and not competes with the corals. Coral vendors usually photograph their corals against a black background for a reason….the corals look their best.

When I aquascape, I usually start with a concept. In my current iteration, I wanted to do something different by creating more vertical structures that could have the potential to create a variety of micro environments from the varied light and flow that a vertical aquascape could provide. In a way, it’s something similar in concept to the earlier posted aquascape photos of that 1000 gal tank. I never really like that tank…..not my thing. Too much exposed equipment and equally placed vertical structures that were similar in height and width. This created an unnatural design to my eye. He should have varied the height, width and spacing of those structures…..and maybe join them at the base to prevent a “placed” look. Just my option though. To each his own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input!

With regards to colors - is it better to limit coral color selection to 3-4 colors versus having a rainbow of different colors? And is there any benefit to using analogous vs complimentary colors?

Also do you have a build thread? :slightly-smiling-face:

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input!

With regards to colors - is it better to limit coral color selection to 3-4 colors versus having a rainbow of different colors? And is there any benefit to using analogous vs complimentary colors?

Also do you have a build thread? :slightly-smiling-face:
Sorry…no build thread….not my thing.

There is no right or wrong with color choices. It all comes down to personal preferences….just like stocking choices. Some like a one color species tank while others like the kitchen sink tank (of which I probably fall into)…..and everywhere in between.

Color choices on opposite sides of the color wheel really enhance each color while colors right next to each other on the color wheel tend to mute colors. But this is just generalities. While I try to use complimentary colors when placing corals, that is just one factor and not a sole determining factor…..just a nicety. Of course, it can run in reverse. You can have a spot where….”I really need a bright green stag to compliment my Oregon Tort colony”….or…..”I want to enhance my purple Milka Stylo. I need to find a bright yellow anacropora”. Then shop for those corals.

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry…no build thread….not my thing.

There is no right or wrong with color choices. It all comes down to personal preferences….just like stocking choices. Some like a one color species tank while others like the kitchen sink tank (of which I probably fall into)…..and everywhere in between.

Color choices on opposite sides of the color wheel really enhance each color while colors right next to each other on the color wheel tend to mute colors. But this is just generalities. While I try to use complimentary colors when placing corals, that is just one factor and not a sole determining factor…..just a nicety. Of course, it can run in reverse. You can have a spot where….”I really need a bright green stag to compliment my Oregon Tort colony”….or…..”I want to enhance my purple Milka Stylo. I need to find a bright yellow anacropora”. Then shop for those corals.

No worries. But nothing related to it on oregonreef.com - correct?

I'd be curious to try to limit colors to 3-4 max in my next build; I have a feeling it would make for a pleasing overall look.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this up to share a few aquascape photos.

Here are a handful of Jeff Senske's client tanks (though some photoshop is definitely being used), so not his personal tanks, but still interesting.

VQZLX4o.png

iqeewhr.png

NNKmCK2.png

2B1wsc5.png

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything is a competition to everyone, that's only one narrow world view. Many people don't care what other people think, they don't care about recognition or "achievement" with their hobbies or art. Some people just like to enjoy a little cube filled with natural beauty without inviting in the toxicity of competition or "show". It can be rewarding just to enjoy a slice of nature that grows in the way that it wants to grow, not in the way a fussy control freak looking for recognition and accolades wants it to grow.

Personally, when it comes to fresh or saltwater, I find the thanks with massive intervention and scaping to be the least interesting. I've tired of "show pieces" and just revel in watching nature unfold. Sometimes the humanity injected into things just gets exhausting and banal.

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything is a competition to everyone, that's only one narrow world view. Many people don't care what other people think, they don't care about recognition or "achievement" with their hobbies or art. Some people just like to enjoy a little cube filled with natural beauty without inviting in the toxicity of competition or "show". It can be rewarding just to enjoy a slice of nature that grows in the way that it wants to grow, not in the way a fussy control freak looking for recognition and accolades wants it to grow.

Personally, when it comes to fresh or saltwater, I find the thanks with massive intervention and scaping to be the least interesting. I've tired of "show pieces" and just revel in watching nature unfold. Sometimes the humanity injected into things just gets exhausting and banal.
My neighbors hate it when I let nature unfold in my front yard. Fussy control freaks.

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would love to see a IAPLC styled competition in the reef world with contestants pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and the materials used.

For me it would be exciting and inspirational and I wouldn’t mind a bit if submissions resembled a natural reef, were styled to look like the floating rocks in Avatar or a bouquet of flowers, even a single color theme relying on different textures of coral for visual interest.

I appreciate from this thread that creating a competition reef tank would take more planning, more time, more patience and more money than freshwater, but we seem to have all of those things in spades here. And collectively we all have the knowledge of what wont and what probably will work.

It’s not so much about what other people think, but sharing ideas and showing what could be when encouraged and supported to push beyond the envelope of what we understand today.

If I still have passion after a Friday of work maybe I’ll start a go-fund-me for just such a comp.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 ugly pillars still has a direction, shape and overall design goal. Which is lacking from a lot of reef aquariums especially at that size.

1699224855932.jpeg

This is your average reef. Just random placement of rock and coral.

Now I'm not mocking anyone in the hobby and I understand everyone has different priorities in this hobby. But this is simply a discussion.

Trust me, in the planted hobby [which is miles easier] you still find a lot of jungle aquariums with very little planning or design.
Yes you are correct . You are also forgetting the average FW fish tank is plant less and boring also . Being a planted tank person as well that whole subset is far different than a FW enthusiast.. example that’s like comparing a cichlid person to a discus planted enthusiast. There are huge differences between planted and reef design as in planted you apply design rules ideals w/ hard scape then plants and trim to fit design . In a reef w/ Stoney corals you have a living growing hard scape that may take years to develop. Planted most setup procure grow and in contests are “ mature” in months and can even win design contests quickly due to ease of plant care.
Reef that same design may take 2-3 years ..
there are reefers that do spend as much time w / scape as inhabitants.. lookup bonsai reef .. one of my buddies was really popular for this design type years ago .. I am a fan as well

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people steal Ideas, copy others, follow trends…
btw is the
“gravity defying/rocks almost falling over but doesn’t/ minimalist/windex/ strawberry short cake/ Alice in wonderland/Boris” aqua scape trend still in ?
or canI keep my pile-o-rock thing from the 90’s
lol

Good thread !

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved from a plant tank to a saltwater tank.
I think these two different types of tank landscaping are very different.

1. The hardscape of the coral tank is not completed at day one, but it takes several years to create the reef landscape.
During the long growth process, if the water quality is accidentally shaken, coral damage may be caused.

2. There are too many corals you want to raise and too little space to use.
Therefore, the blank visual space is destroyed.

3. Coral growth patterns are relatively large.
If too many types of corals are put into a small space, they will not be able to grow healthily.
Too few types will be too monotonous.

My tanks
P3192651 作者:legendhua,於Flickr

P4256002 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

Replacing aquatic plants is relatively easy
P9255808 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

Same tank but different contents
P8060057 全景 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
P8210099 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
PA160125 全景 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
It's completely out of shape with too many corals stuffed in it.
P1070066 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
colorful
PB250002 全景 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

Last edited:

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw is the
“gravity defying/rocks almost falling over but doesn’t/ minimalist/windex/ strawberry short cake/ Alice in wonderland/Boris” aqua scape trend still in ?
lol

Good thread !
You can do whatever makes you happy and this is the key !!
That’s what I love ❤️ about this hobby.. Idk that poster realizes this ..

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would love to see a IAPLC styled competition in the reef world with contestants pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and the materials used.

I think it could be done, with some big sponsors. Try to cap the cost at $1000 for participants and aim for 50-100 entrants.

• 20-30 gallon-ish AIO cube with cheap LED that everyone must run
  • List of corals that can be used, mostly soft but a few low cost LPS and SPS (hopefully sponsored by one of the big coral farms)
  • Hardscape completely open, no rules
  • Fish and motile inverts optional
  • 1 year timeline, final photos MUST be submitted

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw is the
lol

Good thread !
Funny thing about trends in aquascaping....look hard enough it probably exists somewhere in nature.

I was recently watching a FB video with some guy spearfishing big jacks around some reefs, saw him swimming under an arch way of coral.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be done, with some big sponsors. Try to cap the cost at $1000 for participants and aim for 50-100 entrants.

• 20-30 gallon-ish AIO cube with cheap LED that everyone must run
  • List of corals that can be used, mostly soft but a few low cost LPS and SPS (hopefully sponsored by one of the big coral farms)
  • Hardscape completely open, no rules
  • Fish and motile inverts optional
  • 1 year timeline, final photos MUST be submitted

I have participated in a nano reef competition before, it can be a lot of fun i would love to do another nano reef for a competition

This was my “travertine pico” diy aio I build for the competition
IMG_5461.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back