Freshwater

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hometown is having a horrible outbreak of algae in its lake, fish are not being stocked due to most of them not surviving. I was curious if anyone could give me insight on freshwater parameters and or ideas to help with the algae problems. I'm assuming it's a high phosphorus and nitrate issue but not sure. I'm trying to find someone week does freshwater icp tests.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In today's world with industrial and agricultural waste finding it's way into our water systems, your safest option is to use distilled or RO/DI water remineralized for freshwater aquariums with Kent Marine's R/O Right or Seachem's Equilibrium.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase that. I need help on options for helping the lake get back to stable. it's a huge project and would like to do tests myself. But need to know parameters that are fine for freshwater.
Now that's a big tank ! But in all seriousness, how is this project going to be funded ? Municipal money or your own ? Test the water yourself if you want to check for high nitrates and such. Also I don't think it matters if you send fresh or salt to Denver for icp testing.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a big tank ! But in all seriousness, how is this project going to be funded ? Municipal money or your own ? Test the water yourself if you want to check for high nitrates and such. Also I don't think it matters if you send fresh or salt to Denver for icp testing.
Denver? And no, I want to get icp with my own money to present to the city board and explain that I'm into aquarium keeping and have a first hand experience with knowing how the nitrogen cycle works.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Denver? And no, I want to get icp with my own money to present to the city board and explain that I'm into aquarium keeping and have a first hand experience with knowing how the nitrogen cycle works.
Icp analysis is in Denver, CO.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what would you're plan be on bringing back the water quality in the lake ?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what would you're plan be on bringing back the water quality in the lake ?
Well minimalize phosphates and nitrates going into system. And it would be a task but...water change, more flow through it with fresh water, stir the bottom of detritus while draining water, add plants for uptake of nutrients...exc. exc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back