Friend or foe

Mitchell Logsdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove them while they are a small number. I have many and I don't see that they are really a problem they are just multiplying like crazy.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure in a week or two I'll see more. No telling how long I've had this guy. Last time I bought rock was over a month ago and that was for my sump, I bought a blue hippo a week ago and I know he wasnt in the bag....my guess is I've had him for at least a month, the longest being 3mo since that is when I set up my tank.

I honestly don't find them to be as prolific as others say. I've seen a couple loaf around but that's about it. I also don't feed lightly so I don't know why mine aren't reaching plague proportions

OP
OP
sharky79

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

You guys are great! I have done my research along with everyone's help here. We have named him stubs. Gf stated this could be another reason to get something new, she likes harlequins anyways, so we are gonna wait to see what Stubs does to the tank. After researching harlequins and talking with a buddy near me, we can pass him off to eachother if need be.

I really appreciate all the extra information from all of you.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

You guys are great! I have done my research along with everyone's help here. We have named him stubs. Gf stated this could be another reason to get something new, she likes harlequins anyways, so we are gonna wait to see what Stubs does to the tank. After researching harlequins and talking with a buddy near me, we can pass him off to eachother if need be.

I really appreciate all the extra information from all of you.

now I kinda wish my asterinas WOULD get to plague proportions just so I can get a Harlequin :p

OP
OP
sharky79

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now I kinda wish my asterinas WOULD get to plague proportions just so I can get a Harlequin :p
Gf said same [emoji12] we went to our LFS and saw this tiny little guy.
20190605_150431.jpeg

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience asterinas are the devil lol. I woke up to one munching my high end zoas atleast a dozen times. I bought a harlequin shrimp and she sent them back to the nether realm where they belong. Now I have a big fat girl that does her karate dance when she’s hungry in the front of the tank. Sooooo keep a close eye on them!

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QTing the asterina? If you've got one, you've probably already got 10. LOL. They're just a hitchhiker. You probably don't have much choice in that decision to keep them or not.

I don't think anyone has ever purposely purchased asterinas. LOL.
I buy them all the time. I have a harlequin that would scare the devil. Little murderous *******. He kills everything with no star fish in the tank.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is right now eating a chocolate chip star fish. Have to get him one every 2 weeks, or notice the empty conch shell in front.

Last time I skipped a week it cost me 2 conchs, 6 snails, and some hermits. My carpet came up missing also in that time frame.. He was in the same spot for 4 months. I blame the shrimp for that too!

I bet he eyes me up all the time also.

If I put 3 star fish in, he goes and gets each one and brings it back to his ledge. When one starts to wander off again he goes and stings it and brings it back. Should rename them serial killer shrimps.

F33108CE-4192-45D3-A87B-7F03799E0BD6.jpeg

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard people say asterinas are harmless.
For me personally, even if they don't actually eat the corals, they definitely irritate my zoas.
I've lost quite a few frags of high dollar zoas because of asterinas

OP
OP
sharky79

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is right now eating a chocolate chip star fish. Have to get him one every 2 weeks, or notice the empty conch shell in front.

Last time I skipped a week it cost me 2 conchs, 6 snails, and some hermits. My carpet came up missing also in that time frame.. He was in the same spot for 4 months. I blame the shrimp for that too!

I bet he eyes me up all the time also.

If I put 3 star fish in, he goes and gets each one and brings it back to his ledge. When one starts to wander off again he goes and stings it and brings it back. Should rename them serial killer shrimps.

F33108CE-4192-45D3-A87B-7F03799E0BD6.jpeg
Good to know lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back